A Question About KY Game Management

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I just completed a 30 minute online survey on deer management that the Indiana DNR sent out via email. It covered a lot of ground, such as our opinion on deer numbers, late doe season, what calibers we thought were effective for every category of firearm ( right down to foot lbs ), and whether or not we would be willing to collect jawbones, note lactation of does, antler measurements, and other data. The DNR also invites public comment at meetings when considering rule changes. (While I appreciate it, sometimes I suspect they are usually trying to get approval for something they already intend to do. But I digress.)

My question, what kind of input does the Kentucky version of this bureaucracy seek from the fine sportsmen of the Bluegrass state? Do y'all like how things are done or do you think things need to change?

Just wondering. In any case, thanks for letting me step across the river and fellowship with you.

2. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    The state FW listen to the sportsman through clubs and district meetings and surveys. They sometime still do what they want.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I guess it depends on species.
    Elk an bear. High priority
    Who knows about everything else

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I have it on high authority, that KY Farm Bureau Insurance is very influential to KDFWR.
    With that said, I have no complaints with their regs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Just got survey for waterfowl Ky last month , a computer email thing.I have also received one for other small game in last year.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Occasional surveys, but like you I think they already have their intentions pretty well set.

7. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Surely not!
    ;)

8. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I have never been surveyed in KY when it comes to deer or turkey. Small game, fishing, or migratory birds only. The thing that has made me most happy recently in KY is the extended bag limits for crossbow and archery. I think it’s the best thing they’ve done because it gives hunters that want to avoid the orange army ample opportunity to bag a deer or several without having to deal with every Tom, Dick, and Harry with their grandpas 30-30 or their 20-round clip in their AR-15.

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I got hounded a few years ago using the word ‘clip’. I learned the dif. Research it.

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Ky farm bureau def has a say in kdfw

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    By the title, thought a thread on Ky Bball.

bowhunter269 likes this.
  12. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Seams like KDFWR only does surveys once they have already made there mind up to change something and need to claim its due to survey results. KY went through the jaw bone thing probably 20 years ago.

Giveem3outdoors and Munson like this.
  13. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I’ve never been one to be politically correct. I could honestly care less what people want to call them lol. I just don’t like to be out there after the buck I’ve been chasing since June when my neighbors are blasting away at whatever moves. I just wish em the best and stay in the house on the weekends of modern gun if I can. So I appreciate the extended archery season and tags.