a mason

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by rock802, Dec 19, 2009.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I think what he means is...

A Mason is not allowed to solicit you to join. You may only join if you initiate the process by asking for information.

I found this out after a Mason tried to talk me into joining, and then explained that I shouldn't let anybody know he approached me about it, since it wasn't allowed.:eek:

His sales pitch was that the fraternal brothers look after each other; if I were to hit hard times they'll help out financially and so forth.

I didn't join. It sounds like a private social club that does community service. Nothing wrong with that, but all the secrecy, pomp and ceremony stuff turn me off. And besides, i wouldn't join any group that would have me as a member.:eek:

2. I have no idea about other lodges, but I had two retired gentlemen who worked part time for me when i lived in Hopkinsville who were both members of the local lodge and they were ALWAYS helping out those less fortunate. Whether it be scholarships, or food for the hungry or fixing a retired senior widow's roof or taking her to the grocery, etc., etc., etc. It was always something. They both hinted that I should ask to be one, but to be honest, it took up so much of their personal time that I am ashamed to say I didn't want to do it.:eek:

3. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    "Most Worshipful L. Todd Eastham"

What the . . . ?
    Is worshipful a real word?

4. Salty

Salty 8 pointer

Mar 21, 2002
    Winchester, KY
    PM of Clark #943, which merged with Winchester #20 about a few years ago. Served as secretary for 25 years. DDGM in 1982-3, still active, lecture degrees & try to mentor new members.

5. rock802

rock802 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    primrose ky.
    glad to here from all of the brothers.

6. whitewolf79

whitewolf79 6 pointer

Sep 8, 2009
    Grant County/NKy
    After pointing this thread out, my husband felt so inclined as to reply....

Your opinion doesnt amount to a hill of beans!
    Masons in the comunity is about helping other that are not as fortunate as others. We supply food for the holidays for families that can't afford it. Also we have a backpack program for children to take home food for the weekend. The Masons have the Shriners Hospitals all over the country where it doesnt cost the parents anything for childrens treatment. The Knights Templar supply eyeglasses to those that can't afford them.
    SO if you think the Masons dont amount to a Hill Of Beans, stop and ask yourself just how much you did throughout your community.

Also we are not a secret society
    we are a society of secrets.

thank you,
    Sir Col. Joe Adkins II, Grant Lodge #85, JD

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. Colorado_Hunter

Colorado_Hunter 10 pointer

Nov 30, 2007
    Radcliff, Kentucky
    Very eloquently put, but my opinion is just as valuable as yours or your husbands. :D

Society of secrets huh? :D

I suppose that answers all the questions that some people have had in here. :rolleyes:

Why exactly do you need a society of secrets just to help a few people out? Just asking that's all! :D

8. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I don't see what all the fuss is about...

Heck, them masons ain't no secret. You can see at just about ever' construction job! Some of em' even have a union. I got several friends what are masons. I even have a friend named Mason. WHere you guys get this crap anyhows???:D

Sir Col. Joe Adkins II, Grant Lodge #85, JD
    You mean there are 84 masons that's better than you where you work???? I don't b'leave I'd be a tellin' that!!!:D

9. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Lodge #868 here. My grandpa that passed away 8 months ago was a Master Mason, Shriner, and in the Scottish Rite.

10. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin

Well that does it right there...If there is one thing I've found in my life it's that you can never, EVER trust anyone who uses a first initial. middle name.

MARK MY WORDS ON THIS!!!!!!!!

11. lady estrus

lady estrus 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2008
    Ky
    rcb216 is a member of lodge #291 and is going to be master in Jaunary.:)

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    That's not really a very good drawing card, right there.

13. trb0

trb0 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2005
    Tim Baldwin Past Master Russellville Lodge #17 We do not solicit members and yes it has hurt our numbers over the years. The rules allowing us to at least let people know what they need to do in order to become a Mason have been eased up a little by the Grand Lodge of Ky. People worry about our secrets but all of our secrets are found in the Holy Bible. It is not for everyone and as in all organizations you will have a few that give you a bad name. We are not self promoting so we try not to draw attention to our good deeds and yes that does hurt us in drawing new members and cast doubt in the public eye. You can be a Mason and never be a Shriner but you must be Mason to be a Shriner. As far as the "hill of beans" my son received over 1.65 million dollars worth of treatment at $0 cost to me, no insurance accepted, no government funds accepted.Hope this helps.

14. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    No doubt they are a good organization from what Ive heard over the years, but Im still hesitant to join. Maybe this is partly biased, but Ill tell you why.

My dad was going to join the masons. I had some family members, now deceased, that were members, so I dont know if that was his driving will or what. He said the first meeting he ever went to, he seen people in there that were flat out crooks and he knew they were, yet they were members.

A family member used to build houses. A fellow member of his was in the process of building a house. He kept nagging til my family member put in a bid on the house. Not wanting to build it or fool with it, he put in a bid that was ridiculously high. Well the fellow member insisted he take the job. Once was all said and done, the member ended up with a debt of 5000 out of the deal. He gave him 3 months and still no money. They went to meeting one night, and my family member pulled him aside telling him that either he pay or one of them was getting thrown out that night. Needless to say, he got his money that night, but that kind of did it in for him.

15. trb0

trb0 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2005
    Sorry for your bad experience. As I said there are people in about every organization that cast a bad light by their actions, not necessarily the actions of the organization itself.It is a choice that you and you only can decide.