a friend needs aDeer tracking dog Campbell county Alexandria

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by deerhunter24, Oct 7, 2019.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad to hear ruby is doing good. When you quit posting after saying she had health issues i feared the worst. Thanks for the update.

allseasonhunter likes this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Wonder what happen to Idaho Mike? Normally here for opener

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I assume you know some other trackers in the area. Assuming you are not going to be tracking for awhile, Who would you recommend and is there anyone we should stay away from?

4. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    I have names of a few but not necessarily recommend or say anything bad about another man's dog without having see them in action. That being said we have went on and recovered several deer after "other" dogs have failed. Most of these are the ones who advertised as "free" trackers.

5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Good to hear Ruby is doing well. Hate it though you've felt the need to retire her at 7. I have always been amazed at the joy dogs get from things they have been breed to do. I have a llewellin thats 13 years old . From time to time I will still load her up and put her on some training coveys of quail I have around. I will stop when she stops getting excited when I get a gun out.

Chilly likes this.
  6. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    With the number 181 after last season being her biggest find her number of recoveries and my late fathers biggest deer it just seemed like the time was right. As a 130 pound bloodhound she just isn't in the shape to be tracking like we used too. Plus my work schedule just isn't the best for doing it. She is happy being a couch and bed dog trust me. She deserves it too

7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I understand, damn work gets in the way of a lot of things.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    So did your buddy use a dog? Or find his deer?

Southpaw likes this.
  9. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Idk yet I' haven't got to talk to him yet but he did find someone in bracken county

carnivore likes this.
  10. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Ruby may be coming out of retirement tomorrow. Have a guy desperate on a deer that he has 5 years of history with. He can't find anyone else that is willing to track after the rain or make the trip. This is why I hate to keep her from it as we always took the calls others refused. Rain actually helps a good dog instead of hurting it. Deer in question is gut shot and definitely dead but none of the others want to take the call. Same reason I won't give any personal recommendations or references.

bondhu, carnivore and DH13 like this.
  11. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Why don't they want to come out

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Good luck to you! Where are you located?

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Go get 'em Ruby....

allseasonhunter likes this.
  14. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Rain after the shot. Alot of guys and trackers think rain washes away the scent trail. In fact if they knew the answer they would be surprised. Rain not a washout actually makes the trail easier to follow for a dog. When rain dilutes the blood it spreads it out over more surface area. It also does what frost dew and a light snow does ands puts a vapor barrier over the scent and keeps it on the ground. Most trackers want to see a blood trail. Especially newer trackers. Without a blood trail they are lost as they don't know if their dog is following what it is supposed to or not. Having ran ruby on every deer she has ever been on I know my dog and how she reacts. As a tracker if you don't know your dog you are just as lost as the guy that called you.

15. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    I am in edmonson county. After posting about her retirement last season and not advertising ive only had 3 calls this year. The first 2 was midweek and I couldn't have took them anyway. Only taking this one as its on the weekend and its a gut shot. Gut shot deer can be tough but thats what ruby does best.

jblack1 and Southpaw like this.