A few Fort Knox details needed

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by chiphunt, Sep 22, 2020.

1. chiphunt

chiphunt Fawn

Nov 14, 2016
    I haven't hunted Fort Knox since I was a teenager with my grandpa and Dad, but I decided to get back out there this year. I have a good place to hunt private land but I really wanted the extra buck tag and I like the challenge.

I read over the Knox guidelines several times before coming here to ask these questions to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. I also searched this forum so I wouldn't create any redundant questions, but I couldn't find the answers. Anyway...

1) I know you can use a portable stand at Knox that doesn't hurt trees. I mostly use a saddle and ascend the tree with a rope, or climbing sticks. Are you allowed to trim tree branches? Now I know for sure hunters are going to trim away some small branches regardless of the rules, but what is the Fort Knox regulation here?

2) Area check in times are 0400. Does this mean you can get through the gate earlier, then arrive in your reserved area at 0400, or does this mean you can get to the gate at 0400? I'm just not clear on when you MUST be checked in to an area... Is it before you arrive in your area, or when you physically enter the area? I have an archery tag and a gun tag, so I'd like to know how early I can get out there if I need to get a ways from my vehicle.

3) Being that I haven't hunted at Knox in so long, I'll probably do some scouting later this week then setup to archery hunt in the evening. However, I want to be considerate of other archery hunters. This may be too broad of a question...during week days are there a lot of archery hunters out there, or can I roam around a little without blowing up another hunter's setup?

Thanks for any info!

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    1) Portable tree stands are allowed, trimming trees is not.
    2) 0400 is time to check into your area via ISportsman. You can enter post any time, but can't enter hunting areas until you are checked in via ISportsman.
    3) Be considerate, but you may walk up on other hunters. Part of public land hunting. Pay attention to vehicles and where they park. Areas are fairly large and using common sense you can stay away from most hunters in their setups.

Good luck !

3. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    It’s all done through isportsman. Depending on your tier you can reserve an area the day prior. So tier 3 for example can reserve an area at 1300 the day prior then check into that area at 0400 the morning of the hunt. If you don’t check in by a certain time your spot is released for someone else. If you don’t reserve you can just check into an area that morning, just taking a chance that it will be full. You can come through the main gate anytime. Just have all your paperwork on hand. As stated you’ll run into folks but just back out and move on, plenty of room to roam. Good luck.

4. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    You say extra buck tag? Unless I’m missing something that’s not a thing any more. You shoot a buck on a quota hunt it counts as your only buck that year. Unless Knox is different, I know nothing about Knox. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Knox is different. It is an extra buck tag. Only place in it like that. Lbl was the same way until last year or so

woodsman92 likes this.
  6. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 10 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    This! ;)

7. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Thanks I didn’t know that. Good to know

8. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

Actually TWO extra buck tags possible: One for Archery buck and another for Quota Gun buck. I believe Fort Campbell is the same way unless they changed this year.

9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    We're do you get an extra tag for bow and rifle tag

10. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Ft Knox