A coyote attacked my dog.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by jamesw, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    Came home from work last night, let my little cocker spaniel out for a few mins so she could do her buisness, and I sat down on the couch. I was playing on the internet looking for somewhere to go for vacation and completely forgot about my dog being outside. 30 mins or so had passed when I heard my dog start crying and squealing like something was killing her. I jumped up and ran out on the porch and saw a coyote had her pinned to the ground by her throat. I squalled get out of here you SOB and it took off with her in its mouth dragging her towards the brush. By this time my dog had quit squealing and I thought she was dead for sure. ( I guess it had her wind pipe pinched shut). I screamed again as loud as I could and it finally dropped her In the road and hauled tail for the brush. Believe it or not my dog jumped up and ran the porch. I didn't want to look down because I didn't want to watch her die but I reached over and picked her up anyway. I took her to the bathroom and put her in the sink hoping there was something I could do for her. She was soaking wet from being dragged around in the grass and I saw that she was bleeding from her neck and ear and had slobber all over her. I cleaned her up the best I could and found that she had some holes in her neck from the coyotes k9's and one hole in her ear. Luckily she has a underground fence and was wearing a shock collar that I like to think played a big role in her still being alive. I heard her whimper a little as I was going to bed last night and was worried that she would be dead when I woke up. When I woke up and got out of bed she didn't meet me at the door to go outside like she normally does so I went to look under the bed where she sleeps and when I lifted the bed skirt I saw her laying there looking at me, she was too scared to come out but she was alive and I was relieved. She was still there when I went to work this evening ,but when I came home she came out and seems to be OK. Just a little sore and scared. Gonna take her to the vet in the morning.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Man. Brave coyote. Glad she's OK. Time to kill some dogs.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Is she up to date on her rabies vaccine?

4. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    That sort of thing is what got Coyote1758 involved in coyote hunting. He had let his little Shihtzu pets out in his back yard to do their business, and a coyote came into his yard and killed one of his little dogs. He got up with me and asked me to teach him to hunt coyotes. I agreed and I believe he has now killed over 170 coyotes, with his long term goal being to kill 600. Considering there is a farm behind his street that has lots of coyotes, it amazes me that he didn't lose a pet before he did.

5. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Glad your dog is ok. Sounds like the coyotes need thinning around the house. I have 431 to get even with my bunch around the house.

6. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    The vet gave her a rabies vaccine, some pain pills, and antibiotics. She said she will be fine as long as the holes don't set up infection. The neibor kid has been throwing fish scraps over the hill when he cleans his fish.I figure that's why they are hanging around. Hopefully I can get a shot at some of em.

7. BIGBADDAD

BIGBADDAD 10 pointer

I never let my shih Tzu/beagle out without my 85 pound black lab with her. A yote would have to be pretty brave to come over the fence. Yotes have been howling during the day here and it causes all the dogs in the area to bark back and forth. I can't tell one bark from another but they sure can.Glad your dog is ok.

8. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Had a friend who lives in Fayette co. Just minutes from down town who had a dog killed by a coyote. When we had my lab at the vet for a checkup in gtown last year there was a Rottweiler there who had been attacked by 2 coyotes. One got him from the front and another hit him from behind. I hate those things.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    A few years ago, I had three HUGE white German Shepherds and a pack of coyotes came right into our yard and attacked them. Our female (who just happened to be part wolf) laid a whoopin' on a few of them, killing one, and the rest ran off. Before we could even get a gun though, they ran into our neighbor's yard & killed his lab mix... The neighbor wasn't home & by the time we could get over to the side of the house where we could hear them fighting, it was too late.

10. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I hope you Cocker Spaniel is ok. I hear more and more attacks on dogs , especially the ones chained up that are easy targets. When I had Beagles, I kept them in a pen to keep other dogs ( neighbor had several dogs running loose ) off them. Now with coyotes more aggressive , it seems almost a necessity.
    I always kinda wanted a hybrid either German Shepherd, or Husky. Tri - Color Beagles are my favorite tho

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    When coyotes start coming in the yard, they've gotten brave enough to do anything. Drastic measures are called for.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Gotta tell you... my hybrid (German Shepherd/Arctic Timber) was the most awesome animal I'll ever own. She was NOT a pet. No how. No way. She just chose to be part of our family. First year or so with her (we got her as a 6 week old pup) was sheer hell. She'd growl if you tried to pet her, attacked our older male white shepherd, destroyed anything she could get her teeth on, and had me ready to shoot her on more than one occasion. You could NOT force her to do anything. A good whaling just made her mad & she was sneaky mean with her vengeance. After about a year though, she finally decided that we weren't so bad and that going along with the house rules had its advantages... She was still as independent as hell but we were her PACK and that was that. She was smart as a tack & protective as can be of all of us & she went on to become my best friend. When my husband & I had kids a few years later, she quickly adopted them as HER pups & God help anyone or anything that might try to mess with them. She was with us for 13 years & I've never met another animal like her.

That said, I can't recommend anyone getting a hybrid. I've met too many that are neurotic messes to the point of being downright dangerous. How much of that was due to breeding vs. mishandling I'll never know. But I'll tell you here & now that you CANNOT treat a hybrid like a normal dog, it won't work, they won't understand it, they won't submit, and they'll just get mean... You don't know how many books on wolf behavior I had to read to learn how to work with ours - she simply would NOT respond to normal dog training, it had to be done in a way she understood.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  13. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Any of you guys or gals that take beagles out to run rabbits, be sure to keep a weapon handy. A beagler friend of mine in Kentucky had two nice young females killed by coyotes when they were busy running a rabbit. They were about 50 yards from him across a little hollow, but he had no weapon with him to stop them. The coyotes are extra protective of their territories with the young of the year on the ground, and they won't hesitate to kill beagles. Coon hounds aren't safe either.

14. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    Someone told me that if you put a bell on your dog coyotes won't bother them. What do you guys think?

15. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Had one just miss my wifes little Yorke in the front yard while I was sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch a couple years ago. He attacked him and rolled him over and slid in the wet grass. It gave me time to jump up and chase him off. I killed a few behind the house the next couple of weeks and had no problems. However we have been hearing them close to the house the last few nights so if I get some time I'm going to thin them out again. Now the big Cat that is messing around my dog kennel at night the last few nights that I turned the porch light on is another story all together Ill just try and keep to myself so I dont get labeled a whackjob :)