A Cow Rib Project

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by aaronc, Apr 14, 2020.

1. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I love doing the powder horns and also the scrimshaw on'em,....but when it gets down to it there is a bunch in me that just likes to wing it with some bone or antler,.....no real discipline or rules or purpose,.......just do it. I'm a bone and antler/horn addict,..always piddlin with it one way or another,...decided to get into one of my cow bones I've had on my trailer outside for a while.....I've actually been knockin the dust off several pieces with some 80 and 120 grit. This here is a rib sanded down to 2000....as with some wood I've finished it begins to take on that polish effect at around 600. This is just the beginning of the pencil sketch-up,.......next time I post hopefully it will have "of Liberty" added to it. Anyway,...part of what I did today,..later Gent's. -Aaron

Attached Files:

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Got a good start, make sure you use a dust mask, that stuff is no good for you.Ive polished a lot of knife handles ,in the past with buffers.

barney likes this.
  3. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Ya I know :rolleyes:,....I do my power carving inside in front of a box vent,...all my sanding is done by hand outside,...I usually just sit so the wind takes it down stream :)

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Looks good Aaron! Look fwd to the finished piece!

aaronc likes this.
  5. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Here was initial sketch complete today,...I got over part of it with my scribe and the ink is drying at the moment. Will try to get down and see what I got shortly as far as letter/scrimshaw quality on the first pass [​IMG],...We'll see. It appeared to do ok but was for sure hard,....

This piece of maple is for something else,..but it was handy so I laid it there for the pic

Attached Files:

Ataulbe1, Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  6. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Alrighty Gent's,...this is the first pass of ink over what I had scratched. She does look a little dirty,..but I got more to do and will do final clean up at the end. A real heavy coat of wax would have kept it cleaner etc,..just wasn't really what I was after here,...there may be a few places where I wished I used it but these are big chunky letters,...not a nautical whaling theme with ships and rigging,...so if a little extra ink adds a little extra age,...we'll take it on this one. -Aaron

Attached Files:

Ataulbe1, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    That looks great, Arron!

aaronc likes this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    First pass on "Liberty" done today,.....will probably add a date and perhaps other designs on the ends where I have room on workable surface,......but this is the major lettering gone over once,..I'll piddle a little more next week.

Attached Files:

9. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Looks great!

aaronc likes this.
  10. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    That's awesome Aaron!