A condensed build-along Rem 700

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by mwezell, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    A Remington 700 short action, barrel removed and ready for dialing in and truing of the critical surfaces. Bear with me..posting here was an afterthought, so I didn't take pics of every little step.
    8-20-12046-1.jpg

Completely strip the action and bolt down...everything.

I worked on the bolt first. Indicated everything in true in the lathe and cut the bolt face and the rear of the bolt lugs. No pic of the bolt face yet, but it's coming.
    8-20-12017-Copy.jpg

Here's a pic of the front of the action after indicating it in and truing the receiver face and internal lug abutments. Got lucky on this one, the threads were only very slightly out of proper alignment. I single point re-cut the threads if needed. That means it'll never take a barrel with standard threads again properly, so it's nice when they get this right at the factory.
    If you look closely, you can see where I lapped the lugs only enough to verify 100% contact. Lapping lugs to improve accuracy is a bad thing...contrary to popular belief, because the bolt can't lap the inner abutments evenly. It'll always lap the leading edge more than the trailing one. Period!
    8-20-12016-Copy.jpg

Here it is with the bolt in place. Everything looks real nice. It wasn't like this when I started.
    8-20-12021.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Action is done...I did make the bolt knob and installed it too. Again, got a bit lucky..Remington actions are usually lacking in what's called primary extraction cam. This cam is made up of a bevel on the bolt handle and a mating bevel on the rear of the action...It's what makes pulling a fired case from the chamber possible with very little effort. Truing the action reduces how much effective cam it has by moving the bolt rearward slightly, moving the cam surfaces further apart. This usually requires for a new bolt handle to be installed and properly timed for optimum primary extraction..Long story short, it makes the action MUCH easier to cycle from the fired state.
    All Done...
    I'll post up some pics of the barrel work later.
    [​IMG]

3. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    This is a basic truing job. You can go much deeper into it by reaming the bolt raceway and either bushing the bolt or using an oversized bolt. Timing the trigger is another thing. That's mostly about smooth operation more than actual function of the rifle, but some factory gun/trigger combinations can be off by enough to create ignition problems. Go any deeper than what I did with this one and it becomes a no brainer....use a custom action. You'll be money ahead, especially in the long run.

4. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Very nice, and informative, can't wait to give you some business in the future.

5. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Thanks HOH! I'll continue it over the next few days if people here enjoy it.

6. justdacehayes

justdacehayes 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    Berea Ky.
    Please do ; it is very interesting. Thank You

7. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Looking good, thanks for sharing.

8. whenever I get all the money together you know I'm heading your way

9. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    X2. Can you give us a ball park figure on what a job like this would cost?

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Keep the pics coming.

11. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    If a man spends $200 in your shop, do you throw in a pair of them sandals? :D All jokes aside, I've got a SPS Varmint in .308 in the safe that I have plans for in the future when I get my funds right. May have to come see you.

12. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    No, but you might just get to see my sexy legs if you hurry. :cool:

13. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    There's about $175 worth of work in the action itself. Problem is, you can't do this work without doing barrel work too, to re set proper headspace and clearances.

14. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Believe I'll pass on the sexy legs. I get enough exposure to that looking at my own...LOL.

15. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    this is my kinda thread Mike!! blueprintinting at it's finest. Your just finishing up a .338 lapua build for a friend of mine that I referred to you(Shane). I'll get to send a few out of that machine & cant wait!! keep these threads coming