A big snow storm on the way ???

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Climate change that's a good one!
Not really. If this current pattern stays put, then warm weather will occur early causing Hickory & Oaks to start blooming too early. Then we get hit with freezing temps in late April early May, meaning no mast for that year. Deer and other game and wildlife depend on mast from Oaks, Hickory, and also berry producing plants for their food supply.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Ya some years there's mast some years there isn't. Some years my neighbors peaches get frozen some years they don't. I have a few blossoms on my blackberries already they aren't open but they are there.
It seems like those years where we have a late freeze, are occurring more frequently.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
It seems like those years where we have a late freeze, are occurring more frequently.

I think deer “rut activity” is later. I’ve noticed a few posts on here talking about chasing and bucks fighting in December/January. If you look at some of my posts last few years, this has been a trend where I hunt for probably 5 years now. Now, I say this, but there’s an area on my commute to work where I see fawns drop in May every year and that would only be about 10 miles from where I hunt, so I don’t know? It almost seems like it’s not a “regional” thing, but rather totally different from one area to the next. I don’t know if this has anything to do with weather. Just saying something seems different.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Good afternoon. Excerpt from NWS WFO Charleston, WV 12:58 PM EST Forecast Discussion having been issued not long ago

...Regarding the location of the heavier precipitation, numerous models are starting to focus on northeastern Kentucky and west central West Virginia for heavy snow Sunday afternoon. Have upped the snow amounts some in that area, but the potential exists for even higher amounts. There are some models that do not hit this area as hard, hence the edging up toward the higher amounts and not committing fully.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I think deer “rut activity” is later. I’ve noticed a few posts on here talking about chasing and bucks fighting in December/January. If you look at some of my posts last few years, this has been a trend where I hunt for probably 5 years now. Now, I say this, but there’s an area on my commute to work where I see fawns drop in May every year and that would only be about 10 miles from where I hunt, so I don’t know? It almost seems like it’s not a “regional” thing, but rather totally different from one area to the next. I don’t if this has anything to do with weather. Just saying something seems different.
I've also noticed a change in our climate/weather for the past seven years. I've been living here in Central Ky for 14 years now and I've noticed you folks down here have very erratic Springs compared to Southern Indiana's weather. Yes Indiana does occasionally have Spring freezes but it seems more frequent here in Kentucky, probably due to where Kentucky positioned within the mainland.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
●Winter Storm Warning recently issued for Boyd, Carter, Greenup and Lawrence Counties.

●Winter Storm Warning recently issued for Lewis and Mason Counties.

●Winter Weather Advisory recently issued for Bracken and Robertson Counties.

●Winter Storm Warning just issued for Simpson County.

Please visit forecast thread post

https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/posts/2038126731/

for specific details.

Last edited:

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Alexa just said that Fayette is under a warning from 11am Sun to 3am Monday. 3-6 inches with ice as well. Bring it!

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I’m anxious to see what actually does happen with this “storm of the century”. Calling for 1-3 in Frankfort where I work and 3-6 in Lexington where I live. I got chili and beer. Let it roll!

Hey if you have to go to work in the morning, post on here what road conditions in Lex are? I have to come to Lexington in the morning with momma and if conditions are bad I'll reschedule. But momma being a professor at college, her days off are limited and we have to come from Sandy Hook. Thanks!

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Hey if you have to go to work in the morning, post on here what road conditions in Lex are? I have to come to Lexington in the morning with momma and if conditions are bad I'll reschedule. But momma being a professor at college, her days off are limited. Thanks!

MLK Day. School closed but I’m supposed to go in and do some interviews around noon. Over here will be a lot different at that time than early in the AM. If I’m out for any other reason I’ll be glad to post. Right now, just started flurrying, so nothing yet.

Latest posts