A bad year of hunting

River Rat

8 pointer
Oct 1, 2005
The numbers for november show that the kill is down by 6,515 compared to last november. The total kill for last season was a little over 124,000 with the kill this year being a little over 100,000 to date. We have 9 days of muzzle loader, the youth season and bowhunting until Jan.16 to hit the same numbers as last year. We may not hit last years numbers but i think we will hit the 2002 or 2003 numbers around 116,000.

Gobblergetter2.1

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2004
Hartford, KY
Multidigits said:
How many people do you have hunting on your 650 acres??

We have 12 people that lease the ground at $400 a piece, and for the people who stay at the trailer with us pay $600 to lease the ground, and help pay the bills. We havent had more than 7 people hunting this year. Another thing we are starting think about is this cutover that our ground surrounds. There is a 60 acre cutover that looks like a bomb was dropped on it. It has been cutover for at least 4 years now, and it gets thicker every year. The first and second years this was cutover, we could see deer in it, but now we cant. I know they are there though. We are seriously thinking about trying to lease this ground too because the deer have figured out that if they get in the cutover right before daylight, and come out right after daylight, they are perfectly safe. Its not because we are hunting it, but because the people who are hunting the cutover.

dieterman

Fawn
Nov 11, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gobblegetter, us boys in SC know cutover hunting. With the timber industry so big here you learn to hunt them early one. On both my trips to KY I have been amazed at how many hardwoods you guys have. In SC hardwoods are rare, mostly planted pine plantations in the 100's of acres.

You are 100% correct, there are more deer in there than you would believe. We have done man drives on them, sometimes driving the same cutover 3-4 times in a day, and deer come out on every drive.

My advice is to cut shooting lanes when they are first planted and keep cutting them year after year. It is almost impossible without a dozer after about two years.

As for the harvest; you guys had a tremendous acorn crop. That always seems to lower the harvest. Even if there are less deer, the good news is that fewer deer mean bigger deer, and that will pay of next year.

Gobblergetter2.1

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2004
Hartford, KY
We cant drive through the cutover, or cut paths through it because we do not own it or lease it. Other than the 60 acre cutover, and 42 acre foodplot, and long powerline, all of our ground is hardwoods. And almost completley oak trees. We have ALOT of white oaks, and every single one of them produced this year. The mast this year is just unbelieveable! If we do get to lease the cutover, the first thing we all talked about was cutting alot of paths through it.

GSP

14 Pointer
Staff member
Dec 12, 2001
Montrose
Can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong, or give me some insight on what to do? Thanks a million!!

Take what life gives you and make the best.
I shoot does, makes me happy and fills the freezer.
If you want to roll the dice and wait on a big deer, that's part of the game.
Set back and enjoy it.:cool:

Gobblergetter2.1

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2004
Hartford, KY
Multidigits said:
You probably have too many hunters on 650 acres, IMO????

BTW-- if you get the clearcut, don't destroy it's value by cutting into it.

I dont think we should have too many hunters on it. The most we have ever had hunting at one time is 9 people, and we had 260 acres of our ground we werent even hunting that day. The ground is 100% hardwood hills and hollers, and we even have a few ridges that would compete with those in the eastern part of the state. Thanks for all your help guys.

Latest posts