A bad year of hunting

Gobblergetter2.1

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2004
Hartford, KY
This year (As well as last) have been bad years. Last year, was not enough acorns + full moon first day of season + neighbors shot small bucks.. This year WAY too many acorns + full moon first day of season + wind every single day + not enough people hunting our ground + our neighbors have been shooting young bucks. Guys, at my 650 acre hunting club, we have had antler restrictions (15" or wider) for at least 6 years. We have seen some nice bucks in the past (im talking 150-185 " bucks). And we had saw a 10 ptr. for a 4 years that was over 30 " wide no doubt, had tall tines, and good mass. He might have made the state record typical. We know we have the genetics, and the habitat to produce the big bucks, because we have had them before. We have not seen the big bucks we were seeing 2 or more years ago. However, we are seeing ALOT of young bucks with good potential. Almost everyone in our lease has seen at least 5 young bucks this year. Can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong, or give me some insight on what to do? Thanks a million!!

Boss Gobbler

8 pointer
Dec 15, 2001
boone co. KY.
This is the same problem we had a few years ago. I know exactly what is happening. On our farm after bucks get 3 or 4 they disappear. We knew that none of the neighbors were taking them, so where did they go. What happens is when you have several upper age class bucks, some of the bucks relocate and take on there own range and the ones that are left get really smart. It is very difficult to take a older buck without changing the way you hunt. What we did was set aside 25% of our farm right in the middle that is totally off limits. This created a safe place, then all you have to do is hunt the edges smartly.

Multidigits

BBBC Members
Dec 10, 2001
Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
Gobblergetter2.1 said:
This year (As well as last) have been bad years. Last year, was not enough acorns + full moon first day of season + neighbors shot small bucks.. This year WAY too many acorns + full moon first day of season + wind every single day + not enough people hunting our ground + our neighbors have been shooting young bucks. Guys, at my 650 acre hunting club, we have had antler restrictions (15" or wider) for at least 6 years. We have seen some nice bucks in the past (im talking 150-185 " bucks). And we had saw a 10 ptr. for a 4 years that was over 30 " wide no doubt, had tall tines, and good mass. He might have made the state record typical. We know we have the genetics, and the habitat to produce the big bucks, because we have had them before. We have not seen the big bucks we were seeing 2 or more years ago. However, we are seeing ALOT of young bucks with good potential. Almost everyone in our lease has seen at least 5 young bucks this year. Can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong, or give me some insight on what to do? Thanks a million!!

How many people do you have hunting on your 650 acres??

kevhunter

Banned
Sep 16, 2004
I dont know how many guys saw five young bucks each but it sounds like a good year too me.

Turkeyhunter4

8 pointer
Jun 29, 2004
Utica, Kentucky
actually this year was a decent year and last year was one of the best years ever. more deer harvested. deer where traveling alot last year. not alot of traveling this year. but it was a awsome year. first year in 4 years i got to shoot a deer

P-NUT

6 pointer
Nov 25, 2005
marshall co. ky.
I,m confused on the comment not enough hunters, that sound's like exactly the place i need to be. But if it were easy everyone would want to do it. Hunting that is.!!! I do also think they may have relocated , but i dought it is very far, it is almost like starting over, but don;t give up..

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
Gobblergetter2.1 said:

It sounds like your hunting club is being well managed to me. This 2005 Deer Season has really been a strange one, I've ever seen. I think the weather conditions, full moon, and the abundance of mast crops cause the Deer to move at night and the very warm temps kept them bedded in heavy brush during the daylight hours. As for the Big Bucks you're not seeing this might be due to the mentioned conditions plus increased hunting pressure. The Bucks simply left the area or were well hidden during legal shooting/hunting hours. I know here in Indiana, we're expecting a low harvest number too.

ukyager

10 pointer
Jan 21, 2005
KENTUCKY
First skunk for gun season in 4 years. We have killed or seen very nice bucks for the past three years, but not this year. My stepdad was the only one to see any large bucks, He had 3 come out and they were fighting, he managed to take the smallest one a 140"class buck. I know sounds like a good season, but he saw them fri. after thanksgiving in the evening, and we had not seen anything good before that or since. The spot I hunt is a funnel and is always good for movement and a few good bucks, not this year I hardly saw any movement except for right at last light and still nothing to right home about. Oh well back to the PSE for a little while.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
THe KDFWR has a link where you can see the results.The deer harvest has been off everywhere ,I know they haven't taken anywhere near what they normally due at Knox this year either.To know the harvest is off all over instead of just a specific region makes me feel a lot better. I feel that since it was off statewide it could be contributed more to weather,acorns,full moon during rut etc. We're just gonna have slow years just like we'll have screamin' rut -bucks -fallen -out- of -trees years too. These kind of years ya just gotta knuckle down and hunt like ya mean it!

jeremys

6 pointer
Feb 14, 2005
casey co.
I talked to the guy above me that runs Central Ky Custom Meats, he's gotten in over 350+ deer in gun season alone to process, he told me yesterday that so far this whole season he's only gotten it 230 some deer.

I have not seen a deer in the stand since opening day of bow season last year. I have hunted different properties and different stands plenty of times. I just have not seen the deer. I have tried everything rattlleing, grunting, different scents, new camo. It is just not happening.

Latest posts