8x7 double brow?

elkguy

10 pointer
Oct 4, 2004
You gotta be very cautious throwing corn out for elk to eat this time of year. It can kill them. KDFWR gets cases every year where feeding deer corn in January kills some. If deer or elk have been eating corn as part of a daily/regular diet every day for months before winter sets in, they don't have problems with it. However, if they have not been eating corn or some other high carb food for several months, and you throw it to them in January and February, it can kill them. Their metabolism has almost shut down totally because of a lack of food in winter. This is normal and how they evolved to survive harsh winters. So giving them a bunch of carbs to eat in January can cause serious problems and kill them. There is a human analogy. When starving people were freed from concentration camps in WWII, Americans and Russians gave them food to eat and many of them died from the shock to their system.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
You gotta be very cautious throwing corn out for elk to eat this time of year. It can kill them. KDFWR gets cases every year where feeding deer corn in January kills some. If deer or elk have been eating corn as part of a daily/regular diet every day for months before winter sets in, they don't have problems with it. However, if they have not been eating corn or some other high carb food for several months, and you throw it to them in January and February, it can kill them. Their metabolism has almost shut down totally because of a lack of food in winter. This is normal and how they evolved to survive harsh winters. So giving them a bunch of carbs to eat in January can cause serious problems and kill them. There is a human analogy. When starving people were freed from concentration camps in WWII, Americans and Russians gave them food to eat and many of them died from the shock to their system.

I put it out for deer, I wish he would stop eating it though he's costing me a fortune. May add a sign for deer only ;-)

Latest posts