6th Sense in Whitetails?

Many moons ago I had a video that I got in the Sporting Goods area of Wally-World. It was made by an unknown hunting guide in Montana. It was poor quality video because he must have had something over the lens because it looked like you were watching through a tunnel. The video was about stalking. He said something that I have thought about over the years. He said, " Have you ever had the feeling that you were being watched? Only to turn around to find out that you were right. It's doubly true with the Whitetail." Now have any of you had that experience with deer? Watching them and they look right at you, knowing you are there despite the fact you know they can't see you because you are too well camouflaged. That has happened to me before.

~Robin

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
I have, but i think it was because , of a thermal current , probably took my scent to them. But you may be right..

EasyE

6 pointer
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
It’s been years ago but I was up in my climber in a new spot about 20’ up. I watched a young buck approach and when he got about 15’ from the tree his whole demeanor changed, his hair stood up and he stiffened up, walking stiff legged. After about 30’ walking like that he trotted off about another 30’ stopped turned and starred back in the direction he came from. My opinion has always been there was something he just didn’t like, did he smell me?? I don’t know, but he didn’t act the the 100+ deer that had winded me before. I know I’ve learned more about them watching instead of shooting.

EasyE

6 pointer
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
No. Deer are stupid, but they're scared of everything. Same as every other critter
I’m not crazy about using words like stupid to define deer. Not trying to make an argument but people seem to do a lot of stupid stuff. Deer are fascinating creatures to me as are all of Gods Creation. Their ability to adapt and survive are also neat. I had a cousin talk about how stupid a buck was that ran into her van one night while chasing a doe. I said could you imagine if men and women never had sex all year except during a 3 week period?? Now who do you think would be more stupid us or deer?

I’m not crazy about using words like stupid to define deer. Not trying to make an argument but people seem to do a lot of stupid stuff. Deer are fascinating creatures to me as are all of Gods Creation. Their ability to adapt and survive are also neat. I had a cousin talk about how stupid a buck was that ran into her van one night while chasing a doe. I said could you imagine if men and women never had sex all year except during a 3 week period?? Now who do you think would be more stupid us or deer?
I don't think deer are stupid. I have heard stories of observation of deer behavior that was unusual, these stories were their own hunting experience. I saw a line of does walking, single file, down a hill. There were probably 8 of them. My hubby and I watch them walk past us and the last one stopped and looked right at me. I felt the wind hit my back and I thought, "Busted!" Her eyes got as big as saucers. She snorted and took off.

It’s been years ago but I was up in my climber in a new spot about 20’ up. I watched a young buck approach and when he got about 15’ from the tree his whole demeanor changed, his hair stood up and he stiffened up, walking stiff legged. After about 30’ walking like that he trotted off about another 30’ stopped turned and starred back in the direction he came from. My opinion has always been there was something he just didn’t like, did he smell me?? I don’t know, but he didn’t act the the 100+ deer that had winded me before. I know I’ve learned more about them watching instead of shooting.
20ft is pretty high and I don't think you got winded. If it did happen the wind had to be at your back and going downhill to hit the deer. I bet he thought something was up. Look at the domesticated animal. Animals around the Indian Ocean tsunami ran for the high ground while the dumb humans stood on the beach to look at the ocean acting funny, just to get swept away by the water.

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
20ft is pretty high and I don't think you got winded. If it did happen the wind had to be at your back and going downhill to hit the deer. I bet he thought something was up. Look at the domesticated animal. Animals around the Indian Ocean tsunami ran for the high ground while the dumb humans stood on the beach to look at the ocean acting funny, just to get swept away by the water.
You could be 100 feet up in the air and still get winded depending on the wind and your location. I don't think deer have a 6th sense, it's just the 5 they have are so much better then ours it's hard for us to comprehend.

coach&hunt

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2013
Kentucky
Old man told me to never look right at them.. I will admit when a big buck walks in I look over him or to the side.. just to be safe, once the crosshairs are on... I look dead in his eyes! lol

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
On top of a hill in Ky
My BIL and myself were walking out one morning from a rifle hunt and I spotted 3 does about 200 yards away coming across a pipeline clearing on the other side of the field. The does we’re staring right us, heads up, alert. Next thing I know they come at a dead run for us. We were in the wide open, orange and all. Yet here they came. They slammed to a stop about 20yrds out. I’ve got my rifle shouldered at this point thinking the lead doe is going to try and stomp us, LOL. She starts head bobbing, stomping her foot, and even blowed a couple of times. The other two were just kind of looking around. Then they simply turned and marched off slowly looking back from time to time. Strangest encounter ever. Her 6th sense about got her killed.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Deer are like people in that they learn from the past. The young ones will be as dumb as a rock while the old ones are sharp. Yeah, the rut changes all that for bucks, just like it does for us when we let a lady get us in trouble.

I had a stand in a thicket that was about 80 yards wide. Two does and two button bucks came through about every morning. The old doe had a bad leg and I could hear here coming a mile away. They funny thing was no matter what direction the wind was blowing, she always went on the down wind side of my stand and busted me. Every single time. It wasn't just luck in my opinion. She learned to check that spot any time she passed through.

I don't think they have extra senses but I do think they are smart enough to put their life experiences to work and some are better at it than others.

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
They notice things out of ordinary. Have someone put a coffee can anywhere in your bedroom or bathroom and you’d spot it immediately. Deer live in the wild and we visit there

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I don't think deer are stupid. I have heard stories of observation of deer behavior that was unusual, these stories were their own hunting experience. I saw a line of does walking, single file, down a hill. There were probably 8 of them. My hubby and I watch them walk past us and the last one stopped and looked right at me. I felt the wind hit my back and I thought, "Busted!" Her eyes got as big as saucers. She snorted and took off.
Young bucks are dumb. Really dumb.

Latest posts