6 mm to a .243

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Does anyone know how difficult (or expensive) it would be to change a gun chambered in 6mm Rem to .243? A guy I work with just inherited a gun in 6mm and is having trouble finding ammo. With the 2 rounds being so similar, I thought that maybe he could get the gun rechambered. What do you think?

bassvax

8 pointer
Jul 25, 2007
WKY
What do you think?
FWIW ... too expensive! 6mm is an excellent & versatile caliber round for varmint and deer.

I use my Remington 6mm for long range hunting. I do see less stores carrying 6mm ammunition, but it is not that rare (in my expereince).

That's my thoughts....

Dec 6, 2004
to rechambered a 6mm to a 243, the 6mm would have to be the smallest of the 2 , your friend could alway buy a new barrel

Not true.If the shank is large enough, the barrel could be cut at the shank then rethreaded & re-reamed to .243. The person you need to talk to is mwezell(mike) on this forum. He builds custom rifles for a living & could tell you exactly what it would cost. Before I went through this trouble I would want to know how many rounds had been down the barrel & what kind of accuracy the barrel had to begin with.

redneck1377

Banned
Dec 25, 2007
Erlanger
Not true.If the shank is large enough, the barrel could be cut at the shank then rethreaded & re-reamed to .243. The person you need to talk to is mwezell(mike) on this forum. He builds custom rifles for a living & could tell you exactly what it would cost. Before I went through this trouble I would want to know how many rounds had been down the barrel & what kind of accuracy the barrel had to begin with.

what I said were true, I were talking about machining the present chamber to take a biggest carbridge not cutting the chamber off

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
The barrel would have to be set back enough to clean up all of the old chamber. I would consider a new barrel because of the expense. The old barrel may well not be worth spending the money on but a new top quality barrel is. But I'm always happy to do what the customer want if I think it's safe.---Mike Ezell

Auk1124

10 pointer
Aug 25, 2004
Third trailer on the left
Just my two cents, but before I spent the jack on a rechamber job or a new barrel, I'd buy a cheap reloading outfit (the cheapie Lee kits are less than a hundred bucks) and shoot the bejeezus out of the rifle as-is.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
Just my two cents, but before I spent the jack on a rechamber job or a new barrel, I'd buy a cheap reloading outfit (the cheapie Lee kits are less than a hundred bucks) and shoot the bejeezus out of the rifle as-is.

Most of the 6mm's were made with a 1-12 twist barrel. they will stabilize bullets up to about 85-90 gr. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets, you need at least a 1-10 twist barrel. That's the reason the 6mm was beat out by the .243 in terms of popularity.---Mike Ezell

Auk1124

10 pointer
Aug 25, 2004
Third trailer on the left
Most of the 6mm's were made with a 1-12 twist barrel. they will stabilize bullets up to about 85-90 gr. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets, you need at least a 1-10 twist barrel. That's the reason the 6mm was beat out by the .243 in terms of popularity.---Mike Ezell

Yep, but 65-80 grain .243 bullets are plentiful and should be just fine in that factory 6mm barrel. There are some 80-85 grain bullets that could make up a wicked 6mm deer load.

I'm just saying reloading seems like his best option to me, don't see much point in fixing something that ain't broke. To each his own.

sawyer

Fawn
Nov 10, 2003
frankfort, ky, USA.
6mm

As several have said, try reloading. Sierra 82 gr. shoot absolutly great out of my 788 and 700. Have had no trouble killing deer with this bullet. I have a 700 in 243 I'll trade you in a heartbeat for the 6mm.

Bray

10 pointer
Jan 29, 2002
The Interwebs
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=99a4ba3a9ff12f567ad4ef6e03f2edbb

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrlist.aspx?cart=Nm1tIFJlbWluZ3Rvbg==

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Here are the factory loads offered from 3 major manufacturers. You can order this ammunition at any firearm story, from any outdoor company, any online company (cabelas, bass pro, sportsmans guide) or can find it on the shelf at major hunting store. Rechambering and Reloading isn't necissary. If I inherited a gun the last thing I would want to do is make major modifications to it, and change the character of the gun. The 6mm is a formidible rifle. For a good read on the family of 6mm cartridges click on this link. http://www.chuckhawks.com/friendly_6mm.htm

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
The guy who has the gun isn't into them or hunting very big. The only reason for the change to a .243 was for cartridge availability in case he ever wants to shoot it. But all the suggestions you have given are good ones.

mwezell

12 pointer
Jan 22, 2006
Auburn, KY
Guys, some of you are making it sound like a bad thing to rebarrel a rifle. It's NOT unless the gun has significant collector value in it's original state. If properly done and with good components, it will outshoot virtually any factory barrel, period! Add to that the fact that the 6mm Remington is relatively hard on barrels, there is a good chance his barrel is not nearly what it was when new. The difference in a factory and a custom barrel, properly fitted, is night and day.Yes it costs more but so does a Ferrari. I have already stated that I probably wouldn't spend the money on a factory barrel that will likely never shoot as well as a custom and that it may have seen it's better days anyway. If it's got very many rounds on the barrel, then by all means, rebarreling it to whatever caliber he wants that will work with his action is a great option, particularly if he appreciates a fine shooting rifle.----Mike Ezell

Latest posts