5 hp briggs

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by matewsq2, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I have a 5 hp briggs on a go kart. it fires but wont start an back fires threw carb an exhast togather when you put a shot of gas or starter fuild in carb.thinken the flywheel key may be sheered any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    sounds like a valve stuck open.

3. thats what i was thinken to with it backfireing out carb an exh.

4. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Is it just not starting at all? I'm having trouble understanding what you are saying. Sounds like you have fire but it won't start so you're putting starter fluid in the card. Instead of then starting, you're getting a backfire through the carb and exhaust. Is this correct? It could be a sheared key, thats easy to check. I'd eliminate that first.

5. yes thats rite it wont start.i missed the wont start in the first post. but if its the key sheered why is it backfireing out the carb. an exhast at sametime?that makes me think the valves are stuck open.i talked to the tech in the rentail department where my wife works today an he said valves also.

6. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    with the key sheared it fires out of time, and the valves are one just open and the other not hardly closed.

valve usualy stick due to carbon buildup, or spring breakage, or maybe a bent one.

7. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

It could be either, but checking the key is the easiest. You'll have to pull the head to know for certain whether a valve is stuck.

8. Im gonna get into when i get my ready heater back an find out is got to be something simple.i was wanting to see if all thought the same as i was on it .

9. got to get into the little cart motor today.pulled the fly wheel an the key was ok.pulled the head turned the fly wheel by hand an sure enough the intake valve was stuck wide open.shot some carb cleaner around it let it set for a few peck on it with screw driver an it closed.put it back togather an was running in 2 pulls.an that little thing will scream with my lanky arse on it :D