4X8 Chicken coop build

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by StrungOutOutdoors, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Nice work!
    Gonna give you a tip, you ain't always home to close em up for the night, get yourself a solar operated automated door, you'll thank me for it. www.chickendoors.com

2. StrungOutOutdoors

StrungOutOutdoors Spike

Jul 22, 2018
    Ga
    Yeah, I've had my eye on them types of doors. Will more than likely upgrade one day. Thanks for the link

3. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    We have had a automatic door from day one. Only way to go. It has an eye that senses twilight and closes for 30 seconds or something and opens again before finally closing for the night. That way if some one is hogging the door and they can't get in they have a second chance and they figure that out pretty quick. Since moving to KY we added a solar panel and battery since the coop is far from the barn and it works great. We also added a solar panel and electric fence since we are in predator country and the coop is 200 yards away. Once in a while there will be a girl that gets stuck outside but it's rare. The wife checks on them several times a day.

StrungOutOutdoors likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My, my, how time flies..
    Seems my new girls were just babies yesterday, but I discovered something today that leads to believe one is sexually mature.:(
    [​IMG]

5. StrungOutOutdoors

StrungOutOutdoors Spike

Jul 22, 2018
    Ga
    That's cool. Always wondered about them getting locked out, but I guess they catch on pretty quick at roosting time