45-70 ammo

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by styxvalleydan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    ive been using those leverevolutions in my 45-70 ive baught the cabelas scope made for the hornady lever rounds but i cant seem to tighten my groups theyre a roughly 6-8 inches at 100yrds 12 inches at 200 yards. is this typical for the 1895 or do you think i should try some core bon or buffalo bore

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Could be the ammo, could be the gun, could be the scope, but I suspect something else. I'd get somebody else to shoot it off the bench and see if the problem is a loose nut behind the buttplate. That 45-70 is a stout number off the bench and it can rattle a loose nut even, well, looser.

If you decide that isn't the problem, I'd swap scopes and see what happens. Both the ammo and the rifle should be better than 6-8 inches.

3. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Not typical at all for the 1895. Mine will shoot 1 1/2" group at 100 yds with 405 gr. factory ammo and will cloverleaf 3 shot groups of 300 gr. HP loaded really hot at 100 yds. My BIL's will also shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yds. Sounds to me like scope problems or the gun just doesn't like that ammo.

4. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    The LE's are the flattest shooting 45-70 round out now, something doesnt seem right, My guide gun with factory open sights will get 5 inches at 100 yards or less depending on rest with LE's. I would stick with the LE's and check out your scope mounts and/or the scope, that scope hasn't had the best reviews on Cabelas sight. When and if I do scope my marlin it will be a 4X at most in a reliable manufacturer. Lots of people will tell you that the 45-70 is not accurate past 50 yards, I beg to differ:
    [​IMG]
    80 yards with just peep sight.​

5. ebsmc

ebsmc Spike

Nov 6, 2006
    Boyle County
    I had a handi rifle in 45-70 that was real accurate. Never shot the LE's in it though. I went through two low end scopes before I traded it. I would put the scope on, it would shoot great, then the scope would crap out on me. I was shooting 405 gr handloads and it kicked like a mule. When I first suspected the scope, I pulled it off and tried it on a .243. It wouldn't keep the adjustments, so it was trashed. All I had laying around was a Tasco. I put it on the H&R, 5 shots later, the reticle came loose and turned 45 degrees in the tube. I put a 4X Leupold on it after that, and no more problems. It grouped those nasty handloads around 2" all day. (Or at least as long as I could stand shooting them.) Moral of the story, get a good quality, fixed power scope. Give your bore a good scrubbing as well.

6. pb

pb Cyber-Hunter

I couldn't get the lever evolutions to group in my 30-30 though 170g FPs did around an inch @ 100 yds, so it very easily could be ammo.