4 dogs.

kyotin

Fawn
Aug 6, 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
In the last month or two I have taken 4 dogs in the same field. I'm still hearing the howls of a pack and another pack in the distance. I don't want to eradicate them because I enjoy hunting them. But the farmer wants them gone. It seems to me if its such a good area for them to be. Will another pack move in a take the area?

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
In the last month or two I have taken 4 dogs in the same field. I'm still hearing the howls of a pack and another pack in the distance. I don't want to eradicate them because I enjoy hunting them. But the farmer wants them gone. It seems to me if its such a good area for them to be. Will another pack move in a take the area?
Kill them all while you can and yes others will move in after others are gone.
If you don't kill them the farmer might find someone else that will.He is concerned about his live stock than Coyotes.

I have been killing coyotes off some of the places I hunt for over 30 years. When you kill one two more move in. No way you will run out of coyotes.

Last year my Cousin 4Paws and I killed 7 out of one small field from Nov to March. We went back this year and on the first stand we called in a pack of 5.

Another farm I hunt produced 9 coyotes last year. I kill at least 5 off this farm every year and have done so since the late 80's.

I don't care what you do you WON'T ERADICATE coyote population. They have grown in numbers no matter what mankind throws at them as proven by the Western Coyote.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
I have been killing coyotes off some of the places I hunt for over 30 years. When you kill one two more move in. No way you will run out of coyotes.

Last year my Cousin 4Paws and I killed 7 out of one small field from Nov to March. We went back this year and on the first stand we called in a pack of 5.

Another farm I hunt produced 9 coyotes last year. I kill at least 5 off this farm every year and have done so since the late 80's.

I don't care what you do you WON'T ERADICATE coyote population. They have grown in numbers no matter what mankind throws at them as proven by the Western Coyote.

So true! If you can eradicate them, you will have a valuable career. Efforts to eradicate coyotes were done extensively out west, trapping, snaring, hunting and poisoning. It cannot be done.

The night season will not "help thin them out" either, it may in fact make them harder to hunt. The reasoning I heard was to reduce livestock damage, well injuring them by shooting at them too far with a shotgun may in fact increase livestock damage by creating cripples.

F250Stroke

10 pointer
Jan 22, 2007
back in the woods you see
So true! If you can eradicate them, you will have a valuable career. Efforts to eradicate coyotes were done extensively out west, trapping, snaring, hunting and poisoning. It cannot be done.

The night season will not "help thin them out" either, it may in fact make them harder to hunt. The reasoning I heard was to reduce livestock damage, well injuring them by shooting at them too far with a shotgun may in fact increase livestock damage by creating cripples.
I agree 100%! I hate the night hunting law and I really hope not many people in my neck of the woods get into it. It is going to make it more difficult to call them in. All the people that I see post about it are saying, "I got them fired up but no shots, or I could hear them everywhere but no shots", they will only do that for so long before they figure things out.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
Every story I have read about night hunting is the same. I had them fired up and they didn't come in or they came in and we spooked them and they ran off. Lots of people are considering it a success to do that. That's not success at coyote hunting. I like to watch them come in, but if I don't kill them I'm disappointed. I feel like if I call one in and don't kill it I'll never get a chance to again.

F250Stroke

10 pointer
Jan 22, 2007
back in the woods you see
Every story I have read about night hunting is the same. I had them fired up and they didn't come in or they came in and we spooked them and they ran off. Lots of people are considering it a success to do that. That's not success at coyote hunting. I like to watch them come in, but if I don't kill them I'm disappointed. I feel like if I call one in and don't kill it I'll never get a chance to again.

Amen!!!!!!

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
If you are still hearing coyotes in the area, you have too many. They will reproduce an keep the population growing. I think that night hunting would be more successful if you could use slugs or a rifle.

kyfuzzyface

8 pointer
Nov 2, 2007
Central Ky

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree

Latest posts