Got a couple of them...first crop.

20220722_141611 (1)resize35.jpg
20220722_141646resize35.jpg

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
How much TLC involved?

Basically none....I think the first year I may have threw some fertilizer on in the fall...but that's it. I've not had to water any although I would have if I needed to. Had planned to throw a little mulch around the bases but hadn't even done that. The first summer one of them just wasn't doing well for no real reason. Tree died...sprig came up beside the trunk...grew 6 inces with every rain..I cut the original down and let the shoot go. Apparently all the roots were still alive...it caught up with the one pictured by the next year and now you can't tell any difference. It is producing as well.

Edited: I take that back...I think we did water some in the heat of the first summer....certainly none this year or last.

Last edited:

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Tree looks great! I hope your burs produce nuts. Of the 3 I have in the yard one has made Burs twice but when it bloomed the others were not in bloom so no cross pollination. This year they all three came close to blooming at the same time. Two do not have burs and I need to check the one that has made burs before in the morning. Each tree in the yard has a 24 inch piece of split black drain tile at the base of trunk to keep deer from rubbing in the fall.

I have 5 more planted along the creek in my favorite spot that are caged with double stacked 4 ft wire. First year deer were going above the single 4 ft cage and breaking the tops out so the extensions were added. They were blooming in June so I need to go check them too.

I have two more that I need to plant tn the yard to improve the chance of cross pollination during bloom.

You will need to keep an eye on them in the fall when its comes time for the burs to open. If they are making nuts the critters may vacuum them up as soon as they hit the ground.

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
Awesome. Did you get them anywhere specific? Im looking to start planting some in the future.

I picked mine up at my local Sam Walton's. They were about 3 to 4 ft I think. In those gallon or so sized plastic pots. Lasy year I know they had some way on up into summer....I was in lawn and garden the other day but didn't walk over in that area.

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
Tree looks great! I hope your burs produce nuts. Of the 3 I have in the yard one has made Burs twice but when it bloomed the others were not in bloom so no cross pollination. This year they all three came close to blooming at the same time. Two do not have burs and I need to check the one that has made burs before in the morning. Each tree in the yard has a 24 inch piece of split black drain tile at the base of trunk to keep deer from rubbing in the fall.

I have 5 more planted along the creek in my favorite spot that are caged with double stacked 4 ft wire. First year deer were going above the single 4 ft cage and breaking the tops out so the extensions were added. They were blooming in June so I need to go check them too.

I have two more that I need to plant tn the yard to improve the chance of cross pollination during bloom.

You will need to keep an eye on them in the fall when its comes time for the burs to open. If they are making nuts the critters may vacuum them up as soon as they hit the ground.

I'll let you know on the nuts,..these 2 were in bloom at the same time this spring so we'll see how it goes. So is there some reason in particular that deer like to tear into them? It was mentioned more than once here.

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
If you take a pile of chestnuts and a pile of white acorns in a taste test, experts claim the chestnut pile will be gone first. Many stories of chestnuts being a big food staple of Indians, settlers,before blight wiped them out.

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
If you take a pile of chestnuts and a pile of white acorns in a taste test, experts claim the chestnut pile will be gone first. Many stories of chestnuts being a big food staple of Indians, settlers,before blight wiped them out.

Knew that,....I meant tear into the trees themselves and do damage. Assuming just because of the food source.