350 legend?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by silentarcher, Aug 30, 2021.

1. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 8 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    I bought one in the 6.5cm great shooting gun.

2. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Well I picked up the 350 legend. I got the savage axis with 3-9x40 scope w/ drop compensator reticle. It's got an 18" barrel. I haven't got to shoot it yet but just looking at the small cartridge its hard to believe it will/can approach 35 Remington velocity and power. Pretty cool for no recoil though if it actually does. All I need is a 100-150 yard gun. Done a bunch of research on them and there's quite a few rifles already produced for it not to mention many different ammo brands, bullet weights, as well as power levels and reloading dies. Maybe it'll catch on. Honestly I think I'll enjoy mine. It's a great feeling and pointing little compact rifle. Will probably do a scope upgrade down the road though. Even though the banner that comes with it is pretty darn clear. I'll give an update when I get a chance to shoot it and see how it does. Going to try to shoot two or three different ammo brands when I do.

Timholt70, HCDH66, xbokilla and 2 others like this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Congrats on the new rifle. Let’s us know how it shoots.

4. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Thanks I sure will!

Timholt70 likes this.
  5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I’d think the only advantage would be less recoil and cheaper ammo.

6. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Yes cheaper to shoot and moderate power with less recoil. What has my attention is the various assortment of bullets available for it already too. And I'm sure more to come. Lots of factory loadings already and bulk bullets for handloading already. Should make it very versatile and fun especially in a bolt gun. Now if it catches on and they don't all dry up is the key!!!

predator1 likes this.
  7. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    I’m originally from Michigan and all my family and friends are still up there. They all had 450’s and bought the 350’s for their kids due to the less recoil but most of them have all shelved the 450 and went to the 350 because they like shooting it more. I believe most of them have theirs sighted in at 200yds. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.

Timholt70 likes this.
  8. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Thats great to hear keeruss8. I've noticed more of the ammo starting to disappear around here so I reckon there's some other folks that seem to like it enough to stock up on it. I still haven't gotten to shoot mine but it won't be long. I did see a video of a guy shooting it into 36inches of ballistic jelatin and it was blowing through it like nothing and leaving a big wound channel. Pretty cool for a mild cartridge. I'll probably sight in at 100 yards with mine. Doubt I'd shoot much over that in a hunting situation but might check the drop out further just to be safe.

Timholt70 likes this.
  9. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    So much for the 350 legend being cheap to shoot. I noticed our Walmart and rural king both have gone up to almost 26.00 a box before tax on the same ammo that was 19 and change before tax. Thats a hell of a price jump.lol That's all it takes to help bury a new cartridge before it ever gets going.

davers likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I bought some for a buddy last year, almost $30/bx. I've only seen three hunting rounds for it; Hornady, Winchester, and the other day saw a Browning box of hunting loads.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Thats the new norm for ammo prices, everything is 6-10$ more a box primers powder and bullets have all went up and the 350 legend bullets take up alot of lead and copper compared to a 243 or 22 caliber bullet, shooting cheap is over.

12. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    If i wanted a brush gun, the 45/70 is hard to beat, but the .350 is going to be a much milder recoil that can be put in an AR platform, and good for kids and women. I would not think .350 would have a lot of range

13. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    where at in MI you from?

14. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I'll say this for the 350. Walmart after Walmart I've checked ammo in have almost always had a stack of 350 Legend when every other caliber was an empty spot on the shelf. That's from the Gulf of Mexico all the way up to the Canada border. I don't know if the 350 folks made a deal with the devil and sold their soul so that Walmart singlehandedly purchased all the ammo they made, or if there are just that few rifles chambered in that caliber in use right now, but its easy to find for sure.

riverboss likes this.
  15. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    It's one of those magazine calibers if you want to call it that. A caliber specifically designed to go around legal statutes. You can use it in a magazine feed platform like an AR-15 but also in any other long rifle unlike semi-rim or calibers with a full rim case. There is a reason companies were trying to make combustible cases or self contained ammunition in the 80-90's. It's nothing new, pretty much everything known has been tried already and no single high powered rifle caliber has any real super advantage over another. They all have a place and groups they belong to but for the most part a 30-30 kills deer and bear just as good as a .32 Winchester SPL or any other caliber in that range. Same goes for a .223 and a .222 or .22-250 all of them are hyper sonic calibers with small bullets that were designed for small to medium game a moderate ranges.
    It's been hard for gun companies to make due in the last decade or two. Go back 25 years and handguns were just starting to come back into normal use compared to the 60's or 70's when handguns got a bad rap due to previous mob activity in the 20's and 30's. Sporting arms took off after WW-2 due to the American economy pushing all sorts of stuff for people to do on weekends.
    New calibers hit the market every decade or so and usually only #1 or #2 will make the cut and it's usually for reasons that have nothing to do with anything. Take the .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum for example, the newer .327 magnum was a far better option then any .38 SPL +P on the market and companies did make handguns for that caliber in the same frames or smaller frames then .38 SPL. People just did not buy it for whatever reason it tanked over time. Some claimed ammo availability but that was not the case.......people have to buy the guns before ammo makers get busy pushing out millions of rounds. People rushed to buy 3.5" inch magnum shotguns long before the ammo market for 3.5" inch shells became viable. Ask anyone and they will tell you the Turkey hunting market is what replaced the waterfowl market in the 90's due to steel shot laws. It was all part of a much larger scheme in action. The gun manufactures tried to survive the only way they could, by adapting and pouring cash into marketing + TV shows. Millions of waterfowl hunters stopped hunting in 1992-1993 when that steel shot law hit the books. Often many sportsman forget the past or ignore it. Many of the new younger sportsman know nothing about shooting or hunting the way it was 20-30-40 years ago and some have never had anyone to teach them. New shooters and new hunters make up a huge chunk of the market now.