325wsm reloading question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by BigPete, Aug 3, 2014.

1. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Because 325wsm brass is almost non existent, other that the big dollar ($60+ for 25 unprimed Nosler), What is everyone's thoughts on resizing some other caliber WSM brass to 325 brass?

2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Seriously I would consider trading that rifle for one using more a more common caliber like a .308 or .270. Other suitable brass for making .325 WSM would be as expensive or hard to find also.

3. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Necking up is simple, particularly when only going a small amount, as in 300wsm to 325wsm. I would not use nickle plated brass, but I wouldn't use it even if I weren't necking up. Of note, the 7mm wsm is longer and won't work for your needs, without being a major PITA. I'd stay with 300 wsm brass if at all possible.

The down side is in dealing with the doughnut that forms where the old neck/shoulder junction was. A doughnut is where the thicker brass of the shoulder becomes part of the neck when it's necked up to a larger caliber. With a bushing die and a factory chamber, I doubt you'll have any trouble at all using the 300 brass. Worst case is you may need to turn the necks. If you're not familiar with what I'm referring to, do some research online about neck turning and doughnuts in rifle brass.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Either bite the bullet and buy up some appropriate brass, or just trade it off and let somebody else deal with ammo availability headaches.

5. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Trading it off is NOT going to happen! I love the ballistics and extreme knockdown power. Not to mention I have got it dialed in pretty dang good over the years, I wouldn't flinch at taking a whitetail at 400yards and if conditions were right, 500 yards.

Loaded Winchester Ammo is readily available, but brass, is not.

Guess I will just pony up the bucks!

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Why? It's a simple step that only needs doing on the first loading.
    Big Pete, you can give me a call sometime. I can walk you through some simple checks and steps. I do this on a very regular basis. I'd bet, the only thing you'll need to invest in is a redding bushing die...and possibly no need to buy anything but an expander, that btw, can be installed on the bushing die...eliminating any extra steps at all in the loading process.

It's a common and simple handloading procedure.

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Thanks! I will take you up on that! I had read on several other forums that resizing brass was a common procedure, however I myself have not had any experience doing it.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I havent' shopped around but i would guess that 300 wsm brass will be just as hard to find and just as expensive as 325 wsm brass.

Once you get your components in hand, it'll be a breeze, but finding the stuff for oddballs can be more trouble than it's worth.

9. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    I have a 300WSM and have never had a problem getting brass. I just got 200 unprimed Winchester brass a month ago.

10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    By the time you get the other brass and trim and re-size, it would be better to just bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy some appropriate brass. After a little time the pain of the price will fade. Keep watching the internet, there are several reloading trade pages on Facebook, for instance.

11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    How expensive are the loaded shells? $65 for unprimed brass seems steep! How many shells do you get for that price?

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Probably 50 brass cartridges per bag.

13. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Read up on annealing the cases, you will be glad you did

14. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Nosler brass, 25 count for about $65

Winchester loaded 20 count for about $60

Downfall with the loaded brass is that its nickel plated, I'm not a huge fan of the nickel.

15. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Whats the problem with nickel? I used to reload but never had nickel coated shells. I do have a 25WSSM and some of the saved brass is nickel coated.

With ammo shortages and a rare shell in the 25WSSM I have considered buying dies and have been saving shells.