300 win mag

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Get your trigger to 2 lbs., either by polishing or replacing (with Triggertech, Jewell, Timney, etc) makes all the difference for accuracy. Find which load your rifle likes. Personally, I'd go with Accubond or ELD-X bullets if the load shoots out of your rifle.

Have a good bipod on the rifle. I carry a squeeze bag for stock butt when shooting prone. I've found 10-12x is sufficient for pronghorn/deer out to 500. Crank a scope up to 20, watch your reticle jump with each heartbeat.

I'd hope you'd have a legitimate opportunity to turn up a 180" class deer on a high dollar private ranch vs 150s.
Ain’t that the truth. Even at closer ranges higher magnification makes it harder to hold steady.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Hey guys I have an Utah mule deer hunt lined up for next October and was wanting some info on some factory ammo. I have a Remington model 700 in 300 win mag that I have a vortex viper 6-24x50 FFP already ordered for. I’m curious what factory ammo you guys would recommend as I don’t reload. I’ve always really liked hornady factory ammo and had good luck with it. Out there I will likely have shot opportunity’s out to 500 yds. My plan is to start shooting in the next month and buy next fall be proficient at 500 yds. I’ve done a small amount of longer range shooting just for the fun of it but nothing serious. Any other useful tips or info will be appreciated thanks
Price is hard to shallow, but if it'd shoot good out of your rifle, awesome bullet. Ky Gun Co. today.
20221201_100625_copy_1200x1600.jpg

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Sounds like the accubonds might be the way to go. I’ve also been looking at timney triggers as well. And so the hunt is a self guided landowner tag on private and I think there is opportunities at better deer but these guys aren’t super picky and usually take the first nice buck they get a chance at. Also my high dollar and your high dollar are probably a little different lol. It’s not a crazy expensive tag compared to a lot but a lot of money to me. Im just looking for a nice solid buck on my first trip out west.
Gotcha.
After you find a load your rifle likes, while probably shooting of a solid bench, stay off the bench. Won't be any benches in the field. Shooting out to 500 requires a solid rest. Practice prone off bipod and/or backpack. Practice off tall bipod or shooting sticks while sitting down. Practice off tall sticks while standing up. Do something to get heart rate up before shooting; climb a hill, jog, run in place, etc. Air's a bit thinner out there vs Marion Co. Won't take much to get breathing hard.

NOCAMST

8 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Gotcha.
After you find a load your rifle likes, while probably shooting of a solid bench, stay off the bench. Won't be any benches in the field. Shooting out to 500 requires a solid rest. Practice prone off bipod and/or backpack. Practice off tall bipod or shooting sticks while sitting down. Practice off tall sticks while standing up. Do something to get heart rate up before shooting; climb a hill, jog, run in place, etc. Air's a bit thinner out there vs Marion Co. Won't take much to get breathing hard.
That’s the plan once it get it zeroed with the ammo I plan to use I’m going to spend some time flinging rounds to get comfortable and I plan to shoot in the same situations I’ll be hunting or as close as possible. I’m to tight to spend the cash on a hunt and go into it not prepared lol