30-30?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by RKF11, Dec 8, 2014.

1. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    My FIL has both a 336 Marlin and an old angle eject '94 Winchester. Both with scopes, and both have killed a truck load of deer over the years. My FIL is 72 and he prefers the Winchester now simply because it's lighter. Either gun is deadly at 100 yards. One of the guns on my purchase list is one of the stainless 336's with the grey laminate stock.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    I have a 336 marlin sighted in at 100 yards dead on. I also have a couple of the winchesters in 30 30 made in the 60's. That's all my dad ever hunted with was a old marlin 30 30 he swore by the 150 grain Hollow point sighted in at 100 yards. He passed away in 2011 and my little brother has the gun. He had taken well over 150 deer with it in the years he hunted with it and most dropped in their tracks. some shots where over 150 yards. I have taken 2 with a 30 30 marlin using the same ammo both dropped in their tracks. Good little brush gun and with the newer ammo shots over a 100 are no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I have a Marlin 30AW. I believe the only difference in it and the 336 is the birch wood stock and possibly the sights. It still has that silky smooth action and the extension-of-your-arm feel. I doubt I could find a gun more better suited to close quarters deer hunting. I've never had any issues with the 30-30; if I did my part it always did its. Shooting running game such as deer is often looked down upon in many circles. However, I will say that I have shot deer running with my 30-30 and it felt the same as shouldering my 870. The gun just fits me and I'll never let it go. It'll go to my son eventually.

4. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    I will agree with this on the new Marlins, or as I like to refer to them, Remlins, being on a lower grade than the older models. Case in point was just the other day, a gentleman was talking about a new Marlin he bought and was showing it off. He was harping on how much better the new ones were versus the old ones. As we inspected it, you could clearly see the rear sight was crooked as a politician. When it was pointed out to him, he couldn't believe it. No way I would trade a older made Marlin 336 for a new one made by Remington. There is no comparison.

I recently picked up a Marlin 336, which is my first ever lever gun. I'm already attached to it and haven't even shot it. Have scope mounts on it now, but haven't decided on an optic yet. The barrel on the old ones not made by Remington will have a JW on the barrel if you want a easy way to determine which is which. If you wanna know the age of the rifle, I've been told you can take the last two digits of the serial number and subtract it from 100 and that will give you the age.

Just bought a 94AE for my FIL as a Christmas present that is slick as a gut. it's a 2000 model, and has been in someone's safe because it is like new, not a mark on it anywhere, and honestly, I can't tell it's ever been shot. A new 94, which is made in Japan now will cost you upwards of $1,000. Any Winchester with, I believe New Haven, CT on the barrel is a 2006 or older rifle, or at least that is what I was told by Winchester when I was trying to get the age of the one I bought for my FIL.

As for the scope mounts, with the AE, you can mount a scope the traditional way on the AE model and still be able to use the irons if you want.

The only fault I have to the lever guns is the cross bolt safety that was added to both the 336 and 94 several years ago.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    i bet that remington 788 was a accurate rifle,not that many 30-30s made that are bolt action.

6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    That old Remington M-788 was indeed a very accurate rifle. Especially when using 125 to 170 grain bullets. It shot 125 grainers extremely well with 5-shot groups, with my reloaded ammo, grouping <.50" @ 100 yards. The 150 grain bullets shot equally as well, around .75". To bad Remington dropped this great little rifle, as I remember when it first introduced back in the late 1960's it sold way under $100. ~WISH I STILL HAD IT!!~ Savage made a bolt action (Model 340) in .30-30 at one time.

7. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    correct too stiff

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I bought mine back around 2000. It is a "remlin" I believe and I have not had a problem cycling the action from my shoulder. I'm not disputing other's claims that the quality is diminished, I'm just saying I haven't experienced that particular problem.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Remington bought out Marlin / H&R in 2007.

So if yours is a model made around 2000.... it's a Marlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    JDMiller provided you correct information, Ed. You have a Marlin. Barrel should have JW or JM on it somewhere.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I love the 336 and all of the Marlin lever guns. I own 3 of them (so far) The thing that sells me on the Marlins is the ease of mounting a scope. To me they are one of the best buys for the money, especially if you buy an older used gun. I prefer the older ones without the cross bar safety and all the warning crap written on the barrel. They usually get smoother the more they are used. MAKE SURE that if you buy a used gun it is one of the older ones with "JM" stamped on the left rear side of the barrel. The new ones since Remington took over are hit and miss .......mostly miss, and have "RM" stamped on them.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Oh. I stand happily corrected.

13. Stevie Ray

Stevie Ray Fawn

Dec 2, 2014
    Florida
    I have a Model 94 30-30 I bought as a kid in '74 that has taken more deer than all of my other rifles combined, it was stowed in the safe for a few years after I started using other rifles but the past couple of years I dug it out of the safe, removed the old Bushnell side mounted scope and went back using the iron sights again ... must be something about getting old and nostalgic I guess but that rifle to me just seems right being shot with the open sights.

I have noticed for the older top eject Model 94s some people are now using very long eye relief scout scopes mounted forward of the receiever and I believe there are a couple of different mounting options also.

Marlin or Winchester, it'll be hard to beat either rifle.