3 coyotes entered the field.......

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by PhilpotHunter, Nov 18, 2005.

1. OUTBACK

OUTBACK 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    W. KY
    I'm glad you shot the lil bast@rds because they are every where and they try and screw up my turkey hunting. They don't seem to bother the deer in my area to bad but they sure do kill a lot of turkeys. Good job.

2. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    Coyote control

First let me say to Philpot, I kill every Coyote I see, I would have done the same thing.

But the latest research has shown that killing the wrong Coyote can actually cause the population to increase! Those of you who are QDMA members have probably read the article in "Quality Whitetails". For those of you who haven't here it is, in a nutshell. Coyotes are extremely territorial. A dominant male will kill less dominant males and kill pups sired by other males (how he can determine the pups Dad wasn't mentioned). Removing the dominant male from the territory causes havoc among the social structure of the pack. Females will actually increase the size of their litters when this happens and without the dominant male to keep things in order (killing pups and subdominate males) the pack will increase until another male takes charge. The best thing for a Deer manager to do is to maintain the habitat in a manner that gives the deer good fawning sites and gives the Coyotes adequate alternative sources of food. Coyotes are here to stay, may as well learn to live with them. That's it in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed it. Rick:D

3. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    Thanks rick, next time I'll lift there tail and check before I shoot:D

4. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    Lol

Yea, don't shoot any more Coyotes with big nutsacks. :D:D :D :D

5. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Good job on the cats!? Give me a break! You guys really make me sick sometimes. Get some ethics man, I just wish I could be as big as a man as you are.
    Good job on the yotes philpot, I'm sure you got them.