3 coyotes entered the field.......

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by PhilpotHunter, Nov 18, 2005.

1. love the woods

love the woods 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2003
    bedford ky
    gosh dang dev, youre a sensitive little fella. panties all in a wad, even gonna question a man's ethics, tell him he's a bad shot and then tell him not to shoot at all. all the guy wanted was opinions not judgements. what a perfect man you must be, though. you should post advice on here more often so we can all learn from you. thanks john

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  2. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

LTW, I am a sensitive little fella. Been that way all of my life. Lets say you have just shot a doe in the rear end. You see her limp into the woods. Then you shoot another and she drags her rear end and scrambles out of the field. Then you come on to a website wanting praise. What do you expect? I realize coyotes are varmints, but they are animals and deserve a hunter's/human's respect. By the way, its boxers for me.

3. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    Wasn't asking for your praise there bud. Just telling a story. The first coyote rolled, I know its dead.....How many deer have you shot that ran before they died??
    Second coyote? Couldn't tell you, but I know I hit it.

Was I aiming to injure? Hell no, when I shoot I shoot to kill. But were they trotting at distances of over 250 yards? The second over 300? Yes they were. I'm just pleased I hit them.

I would never take that type of shot at a deer, ever. i shot two deer this weekend, one went 20 yards, the other hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I won't shoot at a deer over 250 yards regardless of what weapon I have.

I don't care what you say man, I'm glad I shot the little buggers. We have a pretty LARGE population of them and I do everything in my power to shoot them on site, as do the farmers around me.

You need to get over the fact we disagreed on something in the past man. Talk about holding a grudge. How long have you been waiting for something to attack me on?:D

4. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

You obiviously didn't get my praise on this one bud. I have shot a few deer that ran away and died. You know how I know they died? I tracked the deer and found it dead. Like a responsible hunter. I didn't take it for granted that I'm shooting a 30-06. As with the second coyote "Couldn't tell you but I know I hit it" that says a lot. I'm sure no one aims to injure. Shooting at distances of over 250+ yards is not the thing to be doing if you are just pleased that you hit them. Why not take that shot on a deer? Don't feel comfortable making a clean kill or wounding a deer? I don't know that I'm holding a grudge against you. I started a cat thread a while back and asked for opinons not judgements. I got a lot of opinons. So I'm just passing my opinon on.

5. newshooter05

newshooter05 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    bowling green ky
    welllllllllllllllll

id say u did some good shooting to hit them at all under the circumstances.the ethics of what u did ill leave to your self, i don't walk or judge your shoes.
    i will argue that a 22 lr is to light to shoot a coyotes size animal but because of how i feel about them ill shoot everyone i see if im hunting with what ever i have including a 22. that is an example that should tell u where i place coyotes.
    yes coyotes that are hurt or old will eat domestic animals but so will healthy ones.im not sure asking a man who shot to kill not wound to carry the burden for what a handicapped coyote may do is fair.heck if u follow that logic then no one should shoot or trap a coyote because we may hurt one enough to make him into a cattle killer.
    i have shot wild dogs bunched up and i always subscribed to the theory its better to put 1 round in as many as possible then shoot 1 till he stops moving.maybe im wrong but maybe not.
    david

6. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    Theres our difference of opinions right there. If it is a coyote then I'm pleased I hit them. Obviously I want them dead on the first shot, but My main goal is to kill as many as possible.

7. ryan hickey

ryan hickey 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    Lexington
    gotta side with philpot (for once :D ) on this one. good job blastin those varmints

8. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

I don't think the distance was our difference of opinions. Our difference was letting them run out of the field while you fired at another. Only to wound two animals and let them both get away while you were patting yourself on the back. If your main goal is to kill as many as possible then track the wounded animals and finish them off?

9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Dev, I have blown the legs and other parts of anatomy off of several. When you get only one shot and it is a long one, minute of coyote does get pretty small.Wind and what have you on that particular day all play a roll in hitting such a tiny target on the button at anything more than two hundred yards.

But believing and knowing the target is down for keeps are two diferent things. I always follow up.

Kevhunter, it all depends on what leg is missing, front or back. One that has lost a hind leg is still a very effective killing machine. One that has lost a front leg is more likely to be only a mouser. It doesn't matter which one you kill though, they will almost always be fat and healthy other wise.Thankfully these injured animals are the easiest to call up and kill .The injury causes them to be even more oportunistic than they normally would , less cautious.

This is also the reason I keep harping on not shooting these animals with a 22lr. It is not effective enough on coyotes no matter what ones skills are with a rifle. During the short time they have to recover they develope the bad habit of hunting livestock and they never quit once they are healed. The muscle structure of a coyote is such that a 22lr will only penetrate a couple of inches. The wound then festers and the bullets simply pops out. I have taken way too many like this. One even had a wound in each hind leg and one at the base of her tail, she became a goat killer before the wounds had completely healed.I cut into the muscle to try and find the bullets but did not.

Another had bullet wounds through both front legs, she was stealing chickens from every hen house in three square miles.And I still don't know to this day how she got into half of them. I even know the man that put the bullet through her legs. I still can't convince him to switch his carry rifle on his four wheeler when checking his fences. Jimmie

10. watermelon3308

watermelon3308 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2005
    everyone has their own opinion about yotes.and i cant judge anyones opinion.but no matter how bad most of us hate them .no animal deserves to suffer the way the ones you shot did or maybe still are.

11. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    if I saved one calf, cat or dog in my area then I'm happy....and if the shot presents itself again I will not hesitate to shoot at anymore I see.

Its easy for some people who live in cities or area where they hardly ever see or hear a coyote to sit back and think "how cruel", but when you live in an area that is over run with them, and they are causing problems its a lot different.
    Any of you guys don't like it and have a better way of doing it let me know and I will give you a personaly invite to come out here and hunt them. I already have talked to a trapper who is going to do his best to get some this year.

12. watermelon3308

watermelon3308 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2005
    i wasnt referring to you as a cruel person and i apol.if it sounded that way.i simply stated that no animal deserves to suffer hell i dont blame you i would kill them all to.

13. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    all is well friend. I was kinda talking to everyone that had already posted also. Didn't mean to single you out:)

14. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

I live in the middle of the country. Coyotes frequent my backyard. This doesn't give me the right to take any possible shot. Ethics man. Make a kill shot or don't shoot. If you do shoot and wound and don't follow up then don't brag and no one will know. Its nothing to be proud of. Keep shooting them, but kill them.

15. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    your opinion man, agree to disagree