3 coyotes entered the field.......

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by PhilpotHunter, Nov 18, 2005.

1. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    I looked out my window this morning to "scout" my hunting field before I went to work about 600 yards away. No deer, but about 300 yards out from me were 3 coyotes working left to right. Well, being the opportunist I am I grabbed my 30-06 and ran for the door.
    I went to a barn back in the field they were heading to and set up to intersect them. I waited till all 3 were out in the open and WHAM! I nailed the first one I think in the rear of his body. Rolled him then he went limping and scrambling out of the field.
    The second one ran out another 100 yards then stopped and broadsided to me. WHAM......he didn't roll or react at all except to run for a ditch, but after about 30 yards he stopped, and flat sat down and drug his ass for a few yards in the mud, then up and away again.
    The third one didn't wait around and he was gone in a flash.

So three entered the fiel, three left, but two of them worse than when they entered.:D

2. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Nice work Phil. Remember the thread about my killing the cat. Good thing I warned you about those "random coyotes". Good ethical decision...shoot em' and let em' get away "dragging their asses". Hope the anti's don't get ahold of this. :mad:

3. PhilpotHunter

PhilpotHunter 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Reynolds Station
    I'm assuming from your negative tone you are being a smart ass and comparing me shooting coyotes to you shooting cats? Nice try but I'm not buying it. I have farm dogs, and I have children that visit my farm and walk around the woods. These coyotes are braver than they should be (search about me talking about them in the past) and I don't miss an oppurtunity to shoot one. I doubt that any of those coyotes were wearing collars and went "home" to jimmy and died.

They are vermin and pest and I treat them as such. Sorry you don't approve but I'm not really going to losse any sleep over it.

4. arshooter

arshooter 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2003
    moreland, ky.
    the only antihunter i see in philpot shooting them yotes is dev they are a nussiance that why at times they have bounties on them soon as they have bounty on cats im killin every one of em...

5. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Phil, why couldn't you have made a lethal shot to kill the coyote(s). Why shoot them in the ass and let them drag themselves into the woods? Maybe your gun is a little off???? Maybe you don't care???

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

One thing I know about so called dead coyote's. They come back to haunt you or your neighbors!

Next time be sure they are dead for the sake of your dogs and neighbors.

The major cause of stock killing coyotes in this state so far are the wounded animals that survive.Last calf killer I took was three legged.Blown off up high.Landowners son was so positive the coyote he shot that got away during deer season was dead just because he hit it with a high powered rifle.Their lesson in coyote survival only cost them around 1500 dollars in calves.

Wonder if your callousness will cost you or your neighbors anything? Jimmie

7. kevhunter

kevhunter Banned

Sep 16, 2004
    I hope I never come across a three legged coyote if they can Kill that many calves and just think, if there was a pack of 3 legged coyotes, they would have killed the entire herd.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  8. doug01

doug01 6 pointer

Aug 6, 2005
    Settle down boys settle down.

Good job on yotes Phil. Yotes are probably they hardest animal to bring right down. They're dead, don't sweat it. When it comes to yotes we can't stop pulling the trigger because we are afraid of crippling one.

Good job on the cats Dev. If it doesn't have a collar and its in the wild then the cats owner has made it part of the wildlife:D

9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Kevhunter's response is normal. Most folks don't know or understand how a coyote operates.

Normally a coyote is a very efficient predator. But when an injury slows them down they become more of the hunter of oportunity. Mice become the major diet for the most part. Late febuary and early march the mice become harder to find because they are not breeding yet to make more mice.But when calving time comes around afterbirth and such leavings become the diet for these animals when they find them. Why, because they don't have to work for it. This brings them back night after night looking for the easy meal. When that meal is not present, the day or two old calve that is still on wobbly legs is very easy for them to bring down. Once they take down that first young calf the pattern is set. This is what they will do until stopped or the calves get old enough to outrun them.

Most of you would never think of leaving a deer until you knew all possible chances of recovery had been used up. Please do the same with the coyote's. Track them down and be sure the job is done. Don't leave a question in the field. Give them a bit of time to lay down and go after them. They won't be too far from where they were hit before they hole up in a brush pile.

By all means kill 'em. But make sure of it! Jimmie

10. 97f150ext

97f150ext 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2005
    Cadiz, KY
    Coyotes are a blast to shoot. If its a bad season, they dont get a free pass. The only time I have passed one up is whenever I knew a big buck was suppossed to be around my stand at that time of the day. Otherwise, my Ruger gets to bark at them. Anyway, Ive never had any problem with them leaving the scene of the accident. Head shots usually do the trick upon impact. Way to go on bustin those lil varmints!

11. kevhunter

kevhunter Banned

Sep 16, 2004
    I just have a hard time believing that a 3 legged coyote is more effecient at killing calves than a four legged one.

12. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

This goes back to ethics. Sure everyone will take a shot a coyote, but why not shoot to kill? Why shoot and wound the animal? You can't say,"it was an accident." Well I guess you could, but it happened in two consecutive shots. Thats either poor shooting or poor judgement. Then to not follow up the shot by killing the animal is arrogant. Its only a coyote...next time it'll be only a turkey...only a deer. If you don't have enough in ya to follow up the shot with the kill, don't pull the trigger to begin with.

13. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    It's not the fact that a 3-legged coyote is better at it, it's that he's not as good at killing wild prey with only 3 legs. Therefore, he has to prey on something easier, like livestock.

14. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Boys, I've read the posts, I have not read anywhere that he said he was not trying his best to kill them in their tracks.

15. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

He said it when he said shot the first one and it got up and ran away and then he shot the second one and it only went 30 yards and drug it's ass. Why even shoot the second if you can't finish the first? Why not shoot the second when he's dragging his ass instead of trying for the third?