28 days later

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ojibwa62, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Yes, they are both right. The three words to look at are varies,depending and approximately.
    It boils down to a doe standing for a buck any time between October to December. Maybe even could be September
    to Febuary,lots of different factors. Deer being deer.....

2. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    As far as I can tell, it’s pretty much accepted by most states’ wildlife departments, in this part of the country, that if a whitetail doe comes into estrous and doesn’t get bred, she will come back into estrous in approximately 28 days. At least that’s what I’ve found online. It also matches my (limited) experience of watching deer here at home. If anybody finds anything different, please link to it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    HuntressOfLight and Timholt70 like this.
  3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I find it all to be very interesting. It seems most logical that there exists many factors for variations, just like with humans. For instance, you men know that if you stress us out, it is most certainly going to negatively impact us, and in turn you, yourselves... I would tend to believe that the same holds true for deer, just as it does with plenty of livestock, impacting typical cycles.

Another thing is that Kentucky consists of three distinct climate hardiness zones; so, what some users upon this website see happening within their region's herd, could be different from other regions within Kentucky. I spoke with a private land's biologist in a bordering zone, whom manages a few counties, and I made inquiry about the rut back in early November. I told him that I had read something about the second full moon having an impact. He replied that some hunters place great emphasis upon such, but he did refrain from committing to that stance, himself.

A very nice man, seemingly rather intelligent and full of information he was, inviting me out to his neck of the woods to discuss more, at anytime. It seems that you possess many great resources here within Kentucky, enabling much opportunity to learn. That stated, it seems most logical that the best way to know what is happening, is to go out there and personally observe what is occurring, at any time. We have an old saying in the surf scene, "If you don't go, you don't know". Weather forecasting and cams can only do so much, being that things quickly change. I would tend to think that the same holds true for the rut.

Soggy McBottom likes this.
  4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Look up "trickle rut." I doubt anyone will disagree, that at least 9 years out of 10, that's what we experience deer hunting in KY.
    Herd wide rut doesn't start on "this" day. Herd wide lockdown doesn't happen on "that" day.

5. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    HuntressOfLight, I haven’t watched this particular video, but I’m a fan of Jeff Sturgis, and have learned from his articles and videos.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thank you. That was interesting. If light has bearing upon deer estrogen cycles, leap year every four years would potentially be a slight factor, as would, potentially, the two times zones within Kentucky, it seems; however, some research indicates that such may fail to impact female human estrogen cycles. I doubt that anyone truly knows, and what holds true for one female, whether she be human, deer, or Christmas elf, fails to hold true for yet another.

I did read that nutrition has bearing, which is logical. I also know that USDA plant hardiness zones can slightly fluctuate, enough to be amended. With such in mind, it seems most logical that weather/climate can impact the herd and individual deer estrogen cycle, hence the timing of the overall rut each year.

7. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Here’s a relevant article, from the Quality Deer Management Association. At the end of the day, they’re probably my favorite source for deer info.
    https://www.qdma.com/early-rut/

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

TMI

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thank you. I shall read it, but I can tell you that I also found that resource, before this one. After reading many interesting articles, causing me to find that network informative, I watched one of their videos relevant to habitat management. and specifically to trees, causing me to decide that they required someone with more knowledge, in that specific area. I even mentioned it to said biologist, elaborating upon all, and he did not argue my two points, either.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    rlb165 likes this.
  10. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    That’s funny I saw a huge buck thanksgiving morning, they were running around that day,

11. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    I hunted t

12. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Understood. For habitat info, I usually look to individuals like Jim Brauker, Jake Ehlinger, Steve Bartylla, and of course, the aforementioned Jeff Sturgis. All have good content online, and deer hunting on our place has improved about a million percent because of what I’ve learned from them.

Fun Fact: I don’t think I’ve ever used the word “aforementioned” before.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the referrals, as well as the good humor. I will check them out. I read some of your ancient threads, finding them to provide good content. The one about the tadpoles was interesting. I have a few bizarre stories about them, myself, from Florida, which seems like a million miles away right now.

14. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Thanks for the kind words, HuntressOfLight.
    I actually had to search the archives to see what you were talking about. That was in ‘03, and I didn’t remember that I had posted it here.
    Interestingly, when I remember that tree frog riding on my 4-wheeler, in my mind I see it as if I was watching footage from a GoPro camera. I’m not sure those had even been invented yet when that took place.

HuntressOfLight likes this.