28 days later

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ojibwa62, Dec 6, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW

I have kept a log book on my hunts for over 30+ years. I base very little of my knowledge on what "YouTubers" tell me.. In my logs it shows the 2nd lockdown occurs around 26 to 28 days after the first lockdown. There is chasing that will occur earlier.
    Of course does being of varying ages can come in heat at anytime from September to February, I have seen mature bucks chasing in late Feb in South GA.

You can theoretically see chasing anytime in the fall or early winter. Although the bulk of the does come into heat the first rut, this is nature's way of assuring they are not born too early or too late..

I will say believe it or not there is a lot to be learned from "some" YouTubers most of the guys I watch are whitetail biologist , some are just guys with tons of experience, some I do take with a grain of salt. I have been deer hunting over 45 years and still learn something new every deer season, as would hope most of you do as well, none of us knows it all..

I give up boys and girls.

Chalk me up as another the clique has run off.

You guys have a blessed day..

Timholt70 likes this.
  2. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I don't understand being rude because you may not agree with others.i feel we all can learn something on many topics.

3. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
  4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'm just a asshole, I reckon.
    Shame I hurt his little feelins

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    hunt and Feedman like this.
  6. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    rlb165 likes this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    No, not all of your wives are every 28 days; it varies, and sometimes greatly. That is simply thought to be a majority. I recall that my very first menstrual cycle lasted a brutal 18 days, beginning while I was at school in 7th grade, causing me to go to the nurse and receive an oversized sanitary napkin, which made me feel like a duck waddling down the hallway, back to my classroom. I thought everyone must surely be able to hear it. By the way, I did not interpret any of your posts within this thread as "rude"... more along the lines of simply being amusingly playful, which I personally enjoy.

Anyway, I researched this man's bio, after my last post within this thread, and he has evidently won a few national pro and pro/am hunting competitions, of some type. He is also a published writer and assists others with managing their deer properties. He references 28 days, but again, that must simply be considered to be the majority of deer, and it could very well be inaccurate data. I do not know. You would have to ask each and every last deer, and I believe that you would receive different answers, based upon their individual experiences (such holds true with us female humans).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I will agree that 28 days after the peak of first rut you can have a second rut. It probably is spring born doe fawns that are starting to cycle. Any older does that did not breed on their first service will be cycling again 17 to 22 days later. The only thing that could change this is if a doe conceives an then loses the pregnancy. This will cause their cycle to be off.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Did I just read it, it is 28 days. Guess he was correct.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Timholt70 likes this.
  10. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    My gosh, we really gonna have a huge argument about a does estrous cycle????? We as hunters are our own worst enemy at times.....

ojibwa62, don’t let the comments of others run you off, I really enjoy your posts!!!!

rlb165, invasion36, mykizha and 3 others like this.
  11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I wish you wouldn’t run off. I get a kick out of your posts and I still think you ought to host a wing ding over the summer. I have never really considered coming to a gathering of folks from this website till you threw it out there. Still think it would be fun and nice to meet some folks that post quite a bit. Obviously if it’s gotten more than you care to handle I don’t blame you but sure wish you would reconsider.

rlb165, wolverine1, mykizha and 3 others like this.
  12. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    What Is Seasonality:
    Seasonal changes in temperature, rainfall, and day length all contribute to the cause of the breeding season in deer. In climates where seasonal changes are more extreme, seasonal changes in day length are the main cue used to time the breeding season (Lincoln). Puberty occurs at approximately 16 months of age and after this, they exhibit seasonal polyestrous. Deer respond best to short-day lighting, which means that they are not usually cycling during the summer months, but begin to show estrous behavior in late September and October (see diagram below) (Gordon). [​IMG]

The estrous cycle in deer varies from 17 - 22 days, depending on the species, and this cyclical breeding activity may continue for as long as six months in animals which do not become pregnant (Gordon). The seasonal changes in fertility are controlled by the secretion of LHRH (luteinizing hormone releasing hormone) from the hypothalamus, which is influenced by melatonin from the pineal gland. LHRH influences the secretion of LH and FSH from the anterior pituitary (Lincoln).
    Seasonality in Different Species of Deer: White Tail Deer
    White tail deer can be found in the U.S and even in South America. This type of deer is polyestrous and is a short day breeder. The females will go into heat for a 24 hour period and most go in to heat in November in the northern portions of their range. The entire mating season lasts from October to December. In the southern parts of their ranges, whitetail deer will not mate until January or February. If a doe is not mated, a second estrus occurs approximately 28 days later (Desert USA). The first fawns will be born in the later portion of spring after a gestation period of around 200 days. The females with give birth to 1-3 fawns at a time (National Geographic). Near mating season the deer will release secretions from sweat glands on their legs for intra-species communication (Desert USA). The Bucks will also develop antlers and will fight with other males during the breeding season to win mating privileges (Desert USA).

Dark Cloud and Meatstick like this.
  13. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    If I remember right he got his feelings hurt before and wasn’t coming back and asked mods to remove him but he came back. He will return just give him a little time.

14. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    So everyone is right?? Booooo

barney, Meatstick and web splitter like this.
  15. Timholt70

Timholt70 Spike

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    All this started saying he was wrong and the whole time he was right.