.243 Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYhunter87, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Powerstro284

Powerstro284 8 pointer

Jun 12, 2014
    Rough river
    I think it was about the deer running after the shot and no blood due to no exit whole.

2. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    That is correct. I prefer an exit hole as well, but not at the expense of a bullet going thru the deer without expanding. Prefer it use almost all its energy in the deer and have just barely enough to get thru the hide on the other side with no energy left. Ive only had a exit hole a time or 2 with a 243 but still never lost a deer with it. Coreloct in the boiler room is doom in short order.

3. mike243

mike243 Spike

Apr 2, 2007
    E Tn
    I like the federal 100gbt with the sierra bullet,over 1000lbs of energy left at 400y. Like most others said most of my kills have been bang flops,a few pass thru's but most just jellied the insides ,I dont shoot shoulders always a rib shot for heart/lungs

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    But it didn't run, it "dropped in its tracks" as he put it. I feel like that's exactly what we all want to happen.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread...for what it is worth here is my 2 cents...

I know a lot of hunters who find the 243 to be about the perfect deer caliber (easy recoil and good performance)...but it does require a very well placed shot (all reasonable calibers do) with little margin for error. Most cup and core bullets are designed to do exactly what is being described on behind the shoulder shots-and they work well. I would hesitate to deliberately take shoulder shots on big bucks with standard ammo with the 243.

While a bit more expensive, the Nosler Partition is the most violently performing bullet I have ever shot. It was designed to be the end-game bullet in medium/large game animals such as elk, black bear, moose with moderate (270-30.06) and mid-magnum calibers (7mmRM-338 WM). The front half of the bullet is designed to violently expand creating substantial damage to organs, replicating most of the damage the cup and core bullets (core-lok, powerpoint) and ballistic tip bullets tend to excel at. The rear half is a brass/gilded metal cap over a heavy lead base that is designed to drive about 60% of the bullet's mass completely through the animal, generally guaranteeing an exit wound (and in my experience it is a LARGE exit).

The partition is designed for up close toughness and long distance expansion. You will NOT expend all of the round's energy in the animal (but how much do you really need with modern medium bore rounds). You will get an exit and a blood trail (I have a 100% DRT with Partitions though in 270 and 7mmRM so far) and a lot of damage to meat (especially on deer) that you did not before.

In the end you really do have to match the bullet type to the caliber to the game animal and the terrain (flat farm land-mountain sides, private-public) and understand the pros and cons...

For what it is worth, the Nosler Partition is my go to bullet in 7mmRM...I hunt mostly public land (and do not want the deer going anywhere after the shot) and I generally try to "bust" the shoulder like JD Miller described...

stevenvalleyagain likes this.
  6. Powerstro284

Powerstro284 8 pointer

Jun 12, 2014
    Rough river
    My thoughts as well