.243 Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYhunter87, Dec 5, 2016.

1. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    I have a .243 my children and friends use and we've shot nearly 20 deer of all sizes from yearlings to large bucks and very few have ran. If they do it's less than 50 yds. Only one went beyond that because of the shot placement, not the bullet. Haven't lost a one deer with it and it's rare to get a pass through. I use Winchester power points.

2. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Just my take. We have 2 243 wins and have killed a bunch of deer with them, including 3 this year. I completely understand what the OP is looking for. Optimum for me would be for the bullet to dump 98% of its energy inside the deer and BARELY fall out the skin on the other side. That way, you have an exit hole for better blood trailing. That would be in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we dont live in that world. So we are stuck choosing between a bullet that is a little too explosive although nowhere on the level of varmit ballistic tips and bullets that are too tough for whitetails that punches right thru the deer with no expansion like a corebon. This is a little easier to deal with if you reload. You can push the 95 gr SSTs fast enough that they will dump almost all their energy in the deer then barely push thru the skin, same with 100 gr SPs like corelocts or winchester power points. But to get a slight pass thru, you will probably have to load close to max. Reloading is the way to go if possible.
    With all that said, most of our deer killed with the 243 were killed with 100 gr corelocts right out of the box. Very little blood to find but we have never had one go more than about 50 yards so we havent lost any. Double lung shot deer dont usually run very far. If you are like JD and want to shoot for the shoulder everytime, dont use the corelocts, use a tougher bonded bullet that will expand on that heavy shoulder. It would pass thru the rib cage like a fmj and do little internal damage but is perfect if you like to shoot the shoulder. A coreloct into the shoulder would likely overexpand and under penetrate. Choosing the correct bullet based on available shots and the way you shoot deer is important. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've got a Custom rifle in 6mm Remington, which shoots the same bullet as the .243. All of the deer I've shot with it left little to no blood trail and I can't recall a bullet exciting.

All were shot with 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I've some Nosler Partitions loaded up, as well, but haven't got around to killing a deer with one. I've heard a lot of good things about the Partition in .243.

I also shoot Ballistic Tips in my .270 and I may or may not get a pass through with it either - total internal devastation.

4. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    Nosler Partition is what your looking for

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Remington has a scirocco load in the premium ammo for .243. I never killed a deer with the scirocco loads, but they were the most accurate factory load I ever shot through my mod. 77.

6. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    No doubt a premium bullet but I have heard of people complaining about lack of expansion hitting soft tissue with those. Just punches a bullet sized hole thru both sides. Also heard they are tough enough to shoot shoulders that they expand perfectly and drop deer in the tracks. I will look into those some more since what I just stated was hearsay and Ive not shot them myself. Doesnt the partition have 2 sections of lead seperated by brass with the front section expanding and the back part harder and pushing the whole bullet thru?

7. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I was told that remington is no longer loading the scirocco bullets but they bullets are still available for reloading. Not sure how true that is.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It was a few years back that I bought them.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    In theory ....on some big game animals...I understand what your saying here.

But in real world application...I've yet to see where there wasn't adequate penetration on whitetail deer with a 243 on direct shoulder hit under "normal" hunting ranges under 200yds utilizing 100 grain loads such as PowerPoint's. As my first hand accounts the bullet immobilized the shoulder...jellied immediate vitals and the expanded bullet found in the off shoulder on a broadside shot. Which even on a large whitetail.... penetration / wound channel necessary would only be around 10-12 inches to accomplish.

Which the issue with a bonded bullet.... is were in a real world environment that the shoulder could be missed in a hunting situation. Leaving entrance & exit without transfer of energy & damage to vitals. As such... I'd be more prone to opt for corelocts, powerpoints or similar as an all around choice.

I think the bottom line here is not over think it.... unless were specifically pursuing larger game such as elk with the 243.

Whitetails are just not that hard to kill ... but its all dependent on shot placement regardless of the caliber your using. Which without reservation I'm a proponent for shoulder shots to anchor the deer quickly... that's just me. But when your talking a popular caliber like the 243 combined with various experience & accuracy levels of users & hunters.... shot placement can & will vary on a moving animal. Rounds such as Corelockts or PowerPoints have put a tremendous amount of deer on the ground for a very long time with 243 users ...and just about any caliber typically used for whitetails.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    try the federal load with the Sierra gameking 85 gr HPBT. if you reload, this bullet is as cheap as they come and accurate.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I liked that load too. Killed several deer with them as well.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I wont shoot a shoulder shot with any gun. Give me behind the shoulder about joint level Heart Lung area.
    I have shot Deer with 30 30 up to 30.06 Il will take my 243 over them all day. Even killed Elk with mine in Wyoming dropped in his tracks 320 yards. 85 sierra bolt tails is what I reload with 85 or 100 grain.

13. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    image.png image.png My daughter shot this brute in the chest and he didn't take a step! Excellent deer round.

14. Roaster

Roaster Spike

Jul 28, 2013
    I would think the Partition would be a good choice for the OP. My son and wife currently shoot 100gr Federal blue box-they have all been pass throughs and the furtherst tracking was maybe 20-25 yds.

15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'm a little confused about the original post. I guess sometimes we forget that the point of deer hunting is to kill a deer dead. The OP did just that. Was he hoping his deer would be deader? Or would die a more violent death?