.243 Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYhunter87, Dec 5, 2016.

1. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    My fiance started hunting with me last year and I got her a .243. She shot her first deer with it this year around 70 yards across a field with no obstructions to the flight of the bullet. She made a perfect shot, maybe an inch back and the buck dropped in its tracks. When we gotto the buck I noticed no blood on the ground around the deer and when I flipped it over there was not an exit hole. If this buck had run there wouldn't have been a blood trail to follow. I'm worried that if there was no pass through on an open shot like this what will be the result in the woods if there's some brush or something. She shoots a 100 grain Remington Core Lokt. Any recommendations for some more powerful options with the .243?

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have hunted with a 243 for over 45 years. Shoot 100 grain sometimes 85 grain. 9 out of 10 shot drop in their tracks.If they di run wouldn't be more than 20 yards away. With 243 so much destruction on the inside they usually don't run.
    I hunt with 243 both sons 243 and several friends and family with 243s. GOOD GUN would not want anything else.
    It will be ok. Like I stated above.Dont cut the gun short of its job. HER BUCK DROPPED like it suppose to do.

Gooch likes this.
  3. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Chances are, if the deer died as fast as you describe, the heart was done before the deer hit the ground. I'm like DH, I've killed a pile of deer with a .243. I wouldn't get too excited about blood trails, unless you don't make a good shot. You do your part, the bullet will do it's part.

4. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    I have one and I shoot the federal shock blue box 100 grain

danf26 likes this.
  5. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    I would no worry about the no pass through. I have shot several deer with 30-06 with sst and Amax's bullets the bullet was just under the skin on off side made a mess in there deer drt.

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Deer dropping in tracks has been my experience with a .243 many times, very few pass throughs.

Over the years I've used about all of the brands and loads to hunt deer. I finally settled on Remington premier 95 grain accutip boat tails. I've killed deer with them over 300, and under 30.

7. Rhino

Rhino Spike

Jul 22, 2011
    NKY
    I shot 2 doe's with high shoulder shots with the Winchester 95 grain deer season xp. They were 75-80 yards and dropped in their tracks without even a twitch after they fell.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i don't want a pass through, i want all the energy left in the deer, not the dirt behind it. keep using what you have, if the deer did happen to run, there would be blood on the ground after a couple of jumps.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Shot a lot of deer with a 270 using 150 grain Corelocts and a few with 30-06 using 180 grain Silvertips....I'll be honest and say I don't ever remember a pass-through. Just a dead deer and a jellied shoulder.

Which my daughter has killed several bucks with her 243.. using 100grain PowerPoints. No pass-through... just a dead deer.

As been stated ... I too don't want a pass through.. I want the bullet to spend all its energy breaking bone, damaging tissue & vitals.

10. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    my daughter shoots a 243 she has killed 3 does and a buck, never had a pass through or no blood at all, we had to track 2 of those with no blood. lucky we found them. i have the same concern. we only shoot blue box federal in all our rifles, not a remington fan at all

11. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm in the same boat I don't want a pass through the perfect penetration for me is to find the bullet on the offside while skinning. With SST's this is a very common thing for me with my .270 and 6.5 Creedmore. I've killed several with .243 and it will get the job done. To me more important then how big or powerful the rifle is. Is how accurately the shooter is with the rifle. My son is a good shot with his .243, but my .270 just kicks to hard and he starts pulling his shots not matter how bad he want to hunt with it I won't let him. Now it you are wanting to step up a little the 7-08 is the next step above the .243 for me. The 6.5creed is an good softer recoil round, but ammo is still pretty scarce if you don't load.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Bow Hunting Deer = pass-through is good. Sharp broadheads kill by slicing vitals and blood loss. Two holes are better than one.

Gun Hunting Deer = pass-through bad. Bullets kill by spending energy internally causing shock & damage to vitals.

Two holes more than likely means the bullet didn't do its job .. at least very well. One hole and lengthy tracking job normally means poor shot placement. Don't matter if it's a 243 or a 300 win mag.... you want to spend the energy internally on the vitals. Hit too far back.. take only one lung due to angle .. just a variety of non vital hits ... there's just no magic bullet.

Which this was brought in another thread recently...but most are taught to aim behind the shoulder. I was and I've made absolutely perfect shots behind the shoulder ....deer takes off in a death run .. tail just corkscrewing. He's dead on his feet but can cover an exceptional amount of ground.

Didn't take long for me to learn to put the crosshairs right dead center of the shoulder. Which your going to loose some meat but I've yet see a deer get out of site before killing over right there.

Which I will reiterate this on deer, pronghorn or thin skinned game in general.

Get into elk, moose , bear and the like with thick skin & heavy bone.... a shoulder shot is not the best choice.

13. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I rarely get a passthrough with my -06.

All the deer I've gutted that were shot with a 243 were mush on the inside. It's a great deer round. I'll take liquified heart and lungs over a passthrough.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  14. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Speed Kills,thats what a 243 does.The 243 is a high speed stinging
    impact to a deers boiler room.It releases all it energy as it enters
    the lungs,heart area. It does a what a deer round should do.
    My brother had a custom built Mauser action bull barrel 243 and
    he was absolute death on deer for years.
    I hunted with one last year using the Hornady 95gr SST. I shot a 8pt
    at 90 yds,he fell so fast that it surprized me. That round broke ribs
    on both sides of his rib cage and mushed everything between.
    Aim true and a 243 will do it for you.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  15. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    Thanks for all the replies guys this has enlightened me. I'll stick with what she has.