243 Ammo HELP

WILD

12 pointer
Sep 7, 2009
hick town,ky
if i am hunting really bad brushy areas i like a pass threw ,leaves a better blood trail.thats about the only good reason you get out of a pass threw shot.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
if i am hunting really bad brushy areas i like a pass threw ,leaves a better blood trail.thats about the only good reason you get out of a pass threw shot.
In a place like that, I would just as soon drop'm in their tracks. Ta heck with blood trail'n through brushy tangled up messes...did enough of that the year Mini Blasters were, "the only way to go"...

hunt4ever918

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Remington corelokt 100 grain.........But sounds more like a shot placement issue to me. I have killed with a 243, 270, and 30-30 NONE of them ever made it past 10 yards. Most of them never moved out of their tracks. If you put it where it counts they don't go far.....

remington ammo is garbage......not saying it wont kill but remington brand has had some bad cases of oh crap what happened to my gun? check with a gun dealer

hunt4ever918

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Another vote for 100 gr. corelokt. Dont let anyone fool ya, a .243 will down a whitetail no problem. I have shot several brands of ammo thru my ruger .270, and the corelokt will group better than ANY factory ammo I have tried....and they are half the money.

unless they have done something different in the past 6-7 years......they will not group better than winchester or federal or hornady.......ect......will bet money on it......

Killroy

8 pointer
Apr 18, 2007
in a hospital
I am another voter for remmington corelokt. I shoot them out of my 243. I kill deer. I normally have pass through. Like someone else said, I aim for shoulder bone. When it does not pass through, the deer normally does not have a working shoulder on the front end. When that happens the bullet shreds anything between the shoulders anyway and the deer is dead. When it misses the shoulder it passes through, and it either kills or leaves a blood trail. I have no problem with the gun or the load. As far as it being a bad load for a gun: how many rounds do you shoot through your gun a year? I shoot maybe six or seven rounds a year. I hunt everything else, including coyote, with different guns. I can't see that many shots with a well established name-brand bullet causing any kind of serious damage. If your wife (you did say wife, right?) shoots box after box then I would look into the gun damage thing, but it might be cheaper to go the reload route if that is the case. Best advice- take a brick of 22's and practice different (proper) shooting positions and work with what is best for accuracy. I recently completely altered my shooting style and am quite happy with the results. I switched to a much looser grip, a variation of a grip used for airguns, just enough pressure to keep the gun from bouncing out of my hands.

good luck

B.T.

WILD

12 pointer
Sep 7, 2009
hick town,ky
In a place like that, I would just as soon drop'm in their tracks. Ta heck with blood trail'n through brushy tangled up messes...did enough of that the year Mini Blasters were, "the only way to go"...

i have shot hundreds of deer,the only way to know that i can drop em in ther tracks is to spine shoot em or head shot.they dont always drop on the spot when you double lung em or heart shot.but i do like it when they drop right there though.just saying.

Fat Tony

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2005
Anderson Twp & Goforth School
I need to find out what kind of ammo will help my wife shoot through deer and get a good exit hole for trailing deer. She is a great shot and has alot of confidence but we cant get an exit hole and was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for your help.
Love the Remington Core-Loct 100 gr. for my kids' .243 Handi Rifle. Drives tacks and puts the smack down on em.

Treeman10

Spike
Oct 19, 2010
On the Bayou
You do realize that a 243 doesnt just magically not pass through like say a 270 would. A certain amount of energy is lost on the deer and when that energy matches available energy there is no pass through. Where as a 270 uses the same energy on the deer and since there is extra energy over that needed it passes through the deer. If anything a non pass through shot tells you that more energy could have been used. That being said a 243 with the right load is a very capable deer round.

Why would you want a pass through? It says to me that for deer it's a perfect amount of energy. I don't know about you, but I don't like tracking deer.
So actually you agreed with me then you contradicted yourself. I'm lost. Point is I've never thought I needed a bigger rifle, I've never had to track a deer I shot with the .243, they've all been within a few yards and most dropped in their tracks. I did not have the same results with bigger calibers. Yes it killed the deer but I had to track them up to 100 yds on a well placed shot, I felt it was because I was blowing through the deer. Maybe my feeling is wrong, but you'll never convince me that a store bought .270 round is better within say 200yds than a store bought .243, for downing a deer the quickest time and time again. I shot one for many years. Only explanation, to me, is that it is a better matched round to the game being shot! If I was elk hunting or moose or elephant for that matter then yes I need a bigger caliber, but for whitetail deer I've found what works best for me! So for the record I do know it's not magic.

Last edited:

Country

Spike
May 24, 2005
Why would you want a pass through? It says to me that for deer it's a perfect amount of energy. I don't know about you, but I don't like tracking deer.
So actually you agreed with me then you contradicted yourself. I'm lost. Point is I've never thought I needed a bigger rifle, I've never had to track a deer I shot with the .243, they've all been within a few yards and most dropped in their tracks. I did not have the same results with bigger calibers. Yes it killed the deer but I had to track them up to 100 yds on a well placed shot, I felt it was because I was blowing through the deer. Maybe my feeling is wrong, but you'll never convince me that a store bought .270 round is better within say 200yds than a store bought .243, for downing a deer the quickest time and time again. I shot one for many years. Only explanation, to me, is that it is a better matched round to the game being shot! If I was elk hunting or moose or elephant for that matter then yes I need a bigger caliber, but for whitetail deer I've found what works best for me! So for the record I do know it's not magic.

Please point out where I contradicted myself.

The "perfect" amount of energy would barely pass through the deer with no energy left over. Less than perfect would result in an incomplete pass through and extra energy results in a complete pass through. I'm not saying a 243 isnt capable at taking down whitetail, I'm just pointing out that your assumption that it somehow dispatches one quicker and with more energy imparted into the deer is completely incorrect.

You are essentially saying "man I'd hate to lose a deer because my bullet hit with too much energy"

Latest posts