243 Ammo HELP

kbjcatfish

Fawn
Nov 29, 2009
I need to find out what kind of ammo will help my wife shoot through deer and get a good exit hole for trailing deer. She is a great shot and has alot of confidence but we cant get an exit hole and was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for your help.

KHILL

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2008
95 grain Federal Fusion and Winchester Supremes both due an excellent job in My 243 and on deer but shot placement is the key.

tomfever

6 pointer
May 30, 2010
western side of kentucky
I got one......get rid of the 243 for deer hunting and pick up something bigger like a 270. I know alot of people who have trouble with deer and 243s. Although realisticlly not too many people can just go out and buy a new gun, I have to ask what grain of a bullet are you shooting? I would say that you should get a load with more powder in it but this would cause your scope to be off. I have a 243 that I use only for varmits I want to make sure I do not injure the animal at all, I even shoot 100 grain for coyotes and stuff like that.

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
Why do you want it to pass through the deer? If a bullet passes through, then its taking some of its energy with it. If it stays in the deer, then the bullets energy stays and you get the hydraulic shock. If you want one to pass through, any full metal jacket bullet will--though they wont leave much of a blood trail (and are illegal to hunt with).

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I got one......get rid of the 243 for deer hunting and pick up something bigger like a 270. I know alot of people who have trouble with deer and 243s. Although realisticlly not too many people can just go out and buy a new gun, I have to ask what grain of a bullet are you shooting? I would say that you should get a load with more powder in it but this would cause your scope to be off. I have a 243 that I use only for varmits I want to make sure I do not injure the animal at all, I even shoot 100 grain for coyotes and stuff like that.
Thats crazy the 243 is a great gun with the rite bullets get some 100 gr nosler partitions and dont look back corelock bullets are great as long as your shooting atleast 130 gr but the 100 gr dont always get the job done. If your having trouble killing deer with a 243 its the ammo or bad shot placement, you said she was a good shot so it must be the other.

tomfever

6 pointer
May 30, 2010
western side of kentucky
Why do you want it to pass through the deer? If a bullet passes through, then its taking some of its energy with it. If it stays in the deer, then the bullets energy stays and you get the hydraulic shock. If you want one to pass through, any full metal jacket bullet will--though they wont leave much of a blood trail (and are illegal to hunt with).

I disagree with you slightly. A buddy of mine works at a gun shop and knows alot about ammunition. From what he has told me if you have a good bullet it should pass through and create a big cavity inside. For instance the new federal loads (I cannot remember the name at the moment but they are in a reddish orange box with a deer rack on them) when shooting the hard gelitain blocks create a big wound channel on impact and still pass through. When this happens it creates two holes for blood to exit through instead of one. I have shot many deer some had just entrance hole while others had both entrance and exit hole, I have noticed that when they have the entrance hole only and no exit hole they tend to bleed internally when the entrance and exit holes are present they bleed much more and still has the hydraulic shock as you put it.

Nov 30, 2008
243 ammo

I use 100 grain winchester power point in my wife 243 she killed 8 point buck with hers few years ago it only went about 50 yards and was down.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I have killed near 40 deer with a 243, only had like 3 step out of their tracks(lung shots, and 1 gut shot). With the propper bullet, I aim for bone, base of the neck or shoulder. The 243 is my favorite deer round by far...

mathewslxinky

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2004
irvington, ky
You can kill deer with a 22lr if you hit them right. You dont need to shot a large caliber rifle for deer. bullit placement is the key. I would do like others have said and look for some 100gr bullits and see if that helps her out. i am thinking about getting my wife a 243 as she will not touch a rifle that kicks. Let us know how it goes and good luck to you and your wife.

Latest posts