.243 58 grain hornady v-max, any good for coyote? just bought some, havent tried yet

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by mossyoak84, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mossyoak84

mossyoak84 Fawn

Feb 10, 2012
    hadley, ky
    i just purchase some of the hornady .243 58 grain v-max for my remington 700, havent got to try them on a yote yet. so i was wondering if anybody has shot these and if they're any good. i've shot them on paper and seem to be very accurate for factory loads but i was wanting to know how they are on dropping animals. i am fairly new to coyote hunting so any advice would be appreciated. i have camo'd my gun and bipod, bought a foxpro wildfire caller and added a few sounds, also bought the mojo critter. anything else i need to make me more successful? i do use dead down wind scent elimination and watch my wind very closely. thanks for any info that might help me

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I shoot reloads, 58 gr vmax in my .243, great load! I rarely have an exit and they rarely take a step...
    Don't waste too much time or money on scent elimination, yotes will smell where you walk and your scent cone. They will nearly always swing downwind coming tgo the call, so put it where you can cover the downwind side.... Good luck!

3. Fox Pro Wildfire is good choice for a caller. Set up the Fox Bang option on it and learn to use that feature.

Make your approaches using the wind if possible and be as stealty as possible ninja style. Try to keep the sun & shade to your advantage and sit against anything that will break up you outline. I personally try to make all my sets with a cross wind or a quartering wind. Coyotes will usaully circle down wind so you need to make your set up so they can get from the suspect location to the downwind side of the caller. If you hunt with a buddy I like the back to back hunt. I hunt mostly alone so the e caller is a great advantage for me. Learn your area's you hunt and learn to put mother nature in your favor (wind-sun-approach etc).

I have two friends that use the 58 gr Hornady Superformance and it is bad medicine for the coyote. Not much fur damage as a rule and most of the ones I have seen them shoot have been DRT.

Good luck and welcome to a very exciting sport. You will get a lot of good advice on this forum from a lot of good people. Best advice is to try every bit of it and find out what works best for you and your local coyote population.

4. Fox Pro Wildfire is good choice for a caller. Set up the Fox Bang option on it and learn to use that feature.

Make your approaches using the wind if possible and be as stealty as possible ninja style. Try to keep the sun & shade to your advantage and sit against anything that will break up you outline. I personally try to make all my sets with a cross wind or a quartering wind. Coyotes will usaully circle down wind so you need to make your set up so they can get from the suspect location to the downwind side of the caller. If you hunt with a buddy I like the back to back hunt. I hunt mostly alone so the e caller is a great advantage for me. Learn your area's you hunt and learn to put mother nature in your favor (wind-sun-approach etc).

I have two friends that use the 58 gr Hornady Superformance and it is bad medicine for the coyote. Not much fur damage as a rule and most of the ones I have seen them shoot have been DRT.

Good luck and welcome to a very exciting sport. You will get a lot of good advice on this forum from a lot of good people. Best advice is to try every bit of it and find out what works best for you and your local coyote population.

5. mossyoak84

mossyoak84 Fawn

Feb 10, 2012
    hadley, ky
    thanks for the info so far. cant wait to get out and try some it. ive shot a few maybe 8 or 10 but i still consider myself very new to it. hope to learn all i can and increase my success

6. Bigfish1

Bigfish1 Fawn

Nov 11, 2010
    I use the same 243, same 58 grain v-max. Anything you hit in the head or chest don't run, they kinda get stiff legged and keel over. Only had 2 exits holes all summer. Great bullet!!