22nd year going north to the promise land

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jarrodcombs, Apr 7, 2016.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    5 lb 10 Oz for mine. Seems these ol Foxes varied greatly in weight.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I will hafta get mine rechoked though. It's full and modified. I'm going to need mod an improved cylinder I guess. Any recommendations on a gunsmith?

3. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I think the butt stock on my FIL's 10 gauge double weighs as much as some whole guns, BUT that actually makes the recoil downright light. I sure respect the old timers that packed something like that around the fields and mountains all day.

4. kybritt

kybritt Fawn

Mar 1, 2013
    Man I never post,but I love seeing these double guns. I have tried a sterlingworth but could not deal with the drop at comb. Cool foxes. Is your early fox 16 chambered for 2 5/8? Rst shells pattern really well And are easier on the old girls. If I were going to open it up I would make sure it went to briley. Keep the double gun pictures coming.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I ordered 2 boxes of RST 1 Oz 6's for her when I got her. The recoil isn't hardly noticeable. It's way less than my Franchi I-12 Upland Hunter. I may not be able to hit much with it, we will see in time. Just throwing the gun up at a target in a tree I did fairly well though.

Post the other 2 you have Ray. We want to see them:)

6. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Here you go Jon. kybritt, when you buy an old double, make sure the drop is not over 3" and you should not have any problem shooting them. I have passed on a couple of real nice doubles because of the drop.
    [​IMG]

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Those are nice....

Don't mean to totally high jack this thread, but let's see some of yall's grouse guns. It may help pass the time until the trip north. Or it may make the anticipation that much worse:)

8. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Second nature for me. It's the turkey opener and I'm thinking game birds and waterfowl.

9. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Nice guns. Jon, there used to be a guy in Morgan County that cut a barrel and threaded it for chokes for me, I'll see if I can look up his number. I should be going up north ~15th of October for a week. New pup, can't wait. IIRC I have been going every years since 2003 except one year due to useless college class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I made my first trip n 1983 missed a few seasons over the years but always look forward to it every October. Here is my latest vintage sxs, a Ithaca Flues 20 ga made in the mis 20's. ithica.jpg

11. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    BirdBuster nice guns there! IIs that 2nd one down a flues? What guage?

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm not clear on what you mean by "drop"? Could you elaborate? Thanks.

13. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks for the compliment. Second one down is a Flues 28ga. It was made next to the last year of the Flues. It came from the factory with 2 3/4" chambers, choked cylinder and modified. It also has ejectors. It sure was a nice find. This is the only one I have seen in this configuration. Perfect for grouse!!