Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Federal fusion 62gr

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I wouldn't have guessed they would fragment like that. Sounds like what 50 gr varmint bullet would do.

3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I can attest 50 grain varmit bullet is devastating to deer. Kills yotes dead but can hardly ever find where it enters. Lol

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I thought the same. Most concerning to me was the complete lack of blood. Would make it awfully difficult if you made a less than perfect shot. Of course I'm basing this off one experience.

5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I've got a few ars they all shoot as good as any bolt gun I have ever shot, they all are home built and I don't have a fortune in them.

6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    I shot a doe last year with a 22/250. If I had not know it was a good shot, and it didn't go 20 yards. No blood trail. I believe 243 or bigger. Not saying 223 isn't big enough

woodsman92 likes this.
  7. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    My kids all started with a .223 Handi Rifle, each of them have killed deer with them, including a 215 lb field dressed brute back in 2013. Two of the seven deer they killed ran a short distance after the shot, virtually no blood trail at all. The others, including a big doe last night all dropped in their tracks.

carnivore likes this.
  8. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Not the best round for deer, but in my opinion best for youngsters, and small pettite ladies, especially in AR -15 platform. Mine is a 16 inch barrel, with 6 position stock, and 4x9 scope. Stock slid all the way up is perfect for smaller hunters, recoil light, follow up shots require only a trigger pull, inexpensive practice ammo is dirt cheap,so it gets my vote for those reasons. I use Hornsdy ballistic tip bullets that the box calls, deer and antelope rounds. Get the heaviest expanding bullet you can find. Does not leave an outstanding blood trail, but his deer never get past 50 yards, most we have watched drop. He started killing deer at 6 years old, now 12.

9. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Funny thing about 223/5.56 is that the round is very effective for youths, but in the hands of an adult, it somehow looses it’s effectiveness. I shot a doe last weekend with a little Ruger #3 in 223 using a sierra 65 grain game king. Bullet went through both shoulders. No tracking involved. Son shot a buck with his 30-06, we tracked that deer 400 yards when the blood trail disappeared. Never did find that deer. 223/5.56 is a great cartridge for deer. What is even greater is practice. How many here shoot a box or less a year? Maybe you need a big caliber to compensate for lack of skill or practice. How cheap is it to shoot a 223? How fun is it to shoot a 223. Lots cheaper and more funner than a 30-06. More practice, more proficient, more deadly. Use a heavy Federal Fusion, Nosler Partition, Sierra Game King, Barnes TTSX, Winchester Power Point, etc. Learn to shoot well and deer will die with most any caliber. It is not rocket science.