22-250 VS 243 (Accuracy?)

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by brent19, Dec 30, 2009.

1. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I think Brent is just setting back and enjoying the show:eek:;)

2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I'd say go with a Savage (with the accutrigger) and you won't regret either one so long as you put GOOD optics on her, ammo is probably going to be easier found for the .243 and for less $, until you take up reloading that is!

3. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky
    Wow!

You hit the nail on the head predator. I've been sitting back gathering all this info. LOL! Wow this thread took off like the 243 is going too do coming out that barrel! Thanks guys for all the info.

Brent19

4. Festus

Festus Fawn

Jan 4, 2010
    I am new to this site, been reading what everybody has to say and have to weigh in with my 2 cents worth. Some of you all been arguin just my wife and her sister used to fuss about which one made the best sweet potato pie. Neither one could cook as good as their mother or my mother. I am retired from the Marine Corps. I spent most of my time as an armorer, and also was a shooting instructor. I was on rifle teams, shooting in both Corps and service wide matches. I have also shot at Camp Perry. I have probably shot more firearms of all kinds than most of you have ever seen. I don't think of myself as an expert. That title belonged to the finest officer and a gentelman I ever served under, Major Harold Hollaway. He knew more about firearms and shooting than any man I ever knew, and he taught me a little.
    Ezell is right. Some calibers are just a little more accurate than others are. Even if its not by much. Mailman you ought to take his bet. He would lose. Ezell you seem like you know your stuff,but you wont prove anything the way you propose. Except that one barrel might be more accurate than the other. Get a 100 barrels, all in the same chambering. Slug them, mike the, cast the chamber and then measure it and then compare the measurements from all the barrels. No 2 will be alike. The differences,though they are slight, will affect the accuracy of each barrel,to some degree. If you are a gunsmith,you should know this.
    If you want to find out what caliber is the most accurate,you will have to shoot hundreds of rifles of all kinds and calibers. You will have to fire hundreds of thousands of rounds, using different weight bullets in each caliber. Then compute all the statistics and see which caliber was the most accurate. A few will prove to be more accurate than the others,but the difference will be very slight. Probably just a few thousands of an inch.
    There are too many factors that determine accuracy,to just say one caliber is more accurate than another. I saw men struggle to qualify with the M-14. The same men then fired Expert with the M-16 we were issued them. The reason was recoil. It's easier for the average man to shoot a rifle with no recoil. I shot M-16s that would shoot as accurate as any M-14 at 300 meters. But let a little crosswind whip up, and the M-14 and the 7.62 round would blow that little 5.56 away. Everytime. So,which one was more accurate. Depends who you ask and what day they are shooting.
    Mailman,I wish the man that delivers my mail was as persistant as you. If he was,I woudnt fuss at the post office all the time. You are the only one that stayed on topic here. The man asked which caliber was the most accurate and you told him right. It is always all about the rifle. Some just shoot better than others and some don't. It is the shooter,then the rifle,then the ammo, then the conditions under which you are shooting,that determine how accurate any caliber is. Powder,brass,primer all make a difference in accuracy.
    I helped build some of the Marine Corps sniper rifles. Some rifles were accurate without any tinkering around at all. They were accurate with practically any kind of ammo. Others were not. Some required a lot of playing around with to get them to shoot. All rifles are that way.
    Ezell, you and Mailman are both right. You say some calibers are more accurate,and they are,even if its so small a difference you have to measure with a magnifying glass and a micrometer. Mailman says its all about the rifle,and he is also right. You all need to kiss and makeup.

5. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Calibers

From my expierence manageing a hunting store and working with the best gun and ammo guy's around I can tell you that both calibers will out shoot the shooter. They would tell everyone that the gun is only as good as the shooter. I think i'm a decent shooter but I've had other people shoot my gun and really suck and I've had people shoot the lights out of it way better than me. Just practice with whatever caliber you decide to try. Practice makes perfect!!!! Good luck!!:rolleyes:

7. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Festus, I thank you for your kind words, but I ain't gonna kiss him...:eek:. Anway, sometimes I type faster than I can think, and never make my point. The guy that made the original post here, asked which was the most accurate caliber for coyotes...22-250 or 243. My contention is that either is accurate enough, with one not being any more accurate than the other. What the poster should have asked, was which caliber was better for coyote hunting. While the 22-250 is certainly enough caliber, and will be the equal of the 243 for 99% of the coyote hunting anyone in Kentucky will do, the 243 has the advantage of shooting heavier weight bullets at a higher velocity, and will be the better long range and windy day choice. I coyote hunt mostly with a 223, and that caliber works well, so either the 22-250 or 243 will be a good choice. I will repeat again, it's the accuracy of the rifle and the shooter that matter the most. Now, that's all I'm gonna say on that, as we are all entitled to our opinions. Festus, did you ever meet Carlos Hathcock? I've read a lot about him and his exploits. He was a very interesting character.

8. Festus

Festus Fawn

Jan 4, 2010
    I will put both my comments in one post. First to ezell. I fully understand what you attempting to prove. But all you are going to prove is that you can make a 6PPC shoot better than a 243 in your backyard. Your one littel experiment does not mean that the 6PPC is more inherently accurate than a 243,or any other caliber. If you shoot that 6PPC in a 1000 different rifles,firing many thousands of rounds,it might well prove it was more accurate. That is the only way to test a caliber.
    Mailman,to answer you about Hathcock. I met him several different times,but was not what you would call friends. He was something else. I knew a man who spotted for him in Nam. He said that though Hathcock was a good shot,where he stood out was when he was in the bush. He could hide like an Indian and was at home in the bush. Most people have no idea what a sniper goes through. I think it's one of the hardest jobs in the military.

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    HUH?

Now you're confusing me (at least) using the Same barrel and gun, just cutting the chamber and barrel to two different calibers, would IMHO prove exactly which was more "inherently accurate" one or ten thousand, doesn't matter, IF one shoots better from the same gun/barrel well WHY would it if not that?

10. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    It has been proven by thousands of rounds by untelling how many rifles, at benchrest matches across the country for quite a few years. Hey Mike, lets do it with both the calibers in discussion here. find a good .224 barrel, start out with the 222 remington reamer then go to the 22-250.

11. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY

Hi Dale! Before the PPC came along the .222 ruled benchrest. It would probably win out to 200yards but would be hard to prove because you would need to change bolt faces and or actions. That would be a factor that may well influence the results.--Mike

12. Festus

Festus Fawn

Jan 4, 2010
    I think mailman was right when he said you all were like Al Gore in the arguin department. Actually,I met Al Gore a long time ago before he became famous and he wasnt a bad fellow then at all. he sure did change. Ezell,I can see that you really believe that your one experiment proves everything. You must be the best gunsmith on the planet. I am sure glad that the drug companies dont just do one experiment on a new drug before they start selling it. I am sure glad that our electrical items arent just tested one time to make sure they wont shock us when we us them. I am sure glad the planes I flew in werent just tested one time,but were tested many. You can prove that in your test that one caliber is more accurate. Someone else might do a test and come up with an opposite result. I still say it will take a lot more testing than what you propose. But I am not saying that some calibers arent more accurate.

13. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Please enlighten me with your vast knowledge of why my test is flawed, Oh Great One. My point has already been proven thousands of times to be true and in thousands of guns. I'll let my reputation as a gunsmith and shooter speak for itself. I don't feel the need for your approval. Your posts here have been condescending to say the least, and didn't your parents teach you that it's rude to address someone by their last name, or were you just not paying attention? What I can see from your posts is narrow mindedness and that your knowledge on this subject is limited, but you use the guise as being military as being qualified. There are numerous sites on the net that quantify my claims with gobs of good information. Do some research. Nevertheless, thank you for your service. Good Day.--Mike

14. FERG

FERG Fawn

Dec 9, 2009
    Green Co
    Hey Festus,
    I am an amateur compared to most of you guys including Mike. But how can 200 or 1000 different guns/barrels play a role in this test. If it is the same gun, action, bolt, barrel, stock, and shooter, then won't the inaccuracies you speak of fix themselves. By Mike's test, the only change (variable) will be recoil and cartridge. With Mike's insistence of using the same barrel and action, you take out the chances of other inaccuracies. The same size bullet is coming out of the same barrel. I don't see how you can claim that it will not prove the accuracy of one to the other being superior. I have enjoyed this post and learned a lot. Thanks Guys.

15. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    were comparing cartridges not calibers. a 6ppc & a 243 winchester, which are the same caliber, .243(6mm). you can't test two different calibers with one barrel.