22-250 VS 243 (Accuracy?)

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by brent19, Dec 30, 2009.

1. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Some cartridges are absolutely more inherently accurate than others.

I stand by this statement as substantiated FACT..not just an opinion. --Mike Ezell

2. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Thanks Mike, I was just wondering. I never thought to ask last night.

3. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

I'm not going to argue with you about it, you have your opinion and I have mine. But, with all things being equal, and that is never the case, the difference in the accuracy department between certain calibers, is going to be so minute, that it ain't gonna make a dimes worth of difference, when the chips are all counted.

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Lets not argue about it. It wouldn't cost much to do a pretty good test to see. Same gun, same barrel, different chambering. Care to make a little wager? I'll do the all work for free! --Mike

5. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Can i get in on this? How about a 7mm Mag vs .338. Both are belted magnums with very distinct behavior.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    .338 Lapua? .338 Norma? .338 Marlin Express?

7. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    7mm Remington magnum vs .338 winchester magnum.

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Now how could I do those on the same barrel?:confused:

Mailman disputed what I said and said he wasn't going to argue about it with me. That's fine. I would rather not argue about it either. But facts is facts, and opinions are...well. I can prove what I said and have offered him the chance to prove me wrong. This doesn't have to be a big deal. No anomosity on my part at all. Just a little wager and we find out who's right.---Mike:)

9. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    My bad. Guess I read it wrong. I had swapping the barrels on my mind and using the same action/gun. Brain fart.

10. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Mike, arguing with you about this is like arguing with Al Gore over global warming. Only kidding, of course. I wouldn't compare my dog to Al Gore, let alone anyone on here that likes guns and fooling around with them. But, both sides of the global warming argument, think they are right, and can come up with the facts and figures to support their side. The same could be said about what we are discussing. I wouldn't bet with you, because I'm sure you could conduct your experiment and prove your point....and show me that a particular catridge is more accurate than another one is. However, on another day, under an entirely different set of circumstances, you might come up with a different conclusion. The difference, in acuracy between certain cartridges, can be measured in a few thousands of a inch. While that will win compitition shooting, punching holes in paper, it don't matter a damn in the field when shooting at game or varmints. And that was what the original post was here....22-250 or 243, which is the most accurate for coyotes. Actually, not to offend the guy who asked the question, but it's a rather silly question. Both are good calibers, that have been around for many years, and have proved themselves in the field. The 243 is a better long range cartridge, but the 22-250 will kill them reliably at the distances that most hunters are able to shoot....consistently enough to kill. Either would make a perfectly good choice, just depends on what a guy wants.
    By the way Mike, say hi to Al for me, next time you see him....:D. Only kidding, only kidding..............:)

11. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Where we don't agree, from your above posts, is whether or not one particular cartridge can be more inherently accurate than another. I say that it is a FACT that some are...you disputed this and called it my opinion.

What I propose is to buy a cheap barrel blank that I chamber up in two different chamberings of the same bore diameter. I can fit it to a benchrest rifle and start with the smaller of the two chamberings, so that I can rechamber to the larger one without even having to lose barrel length or anything. The rifle is a proven winner in Benchrest and will have a 12-42x Nightforce scope on it. We'll just take my existing barrel off and screw this one on after chambering and rechambering it.The object won't be to see how well I can make it shoot, but which chambering can be made shoot best of the two. I don't think there is a more fair comparison of two cartridges than that. We can split the costs and the winner keeps the newly chambered barrel and the loser buys the other a steak dinner and a beer.:)
    Al Gore manipulates the figures to suit himself. You can name your cartridge choice(anything 22,6mm, or even 30 cal) and we can have someone else do the shooting. I don't care. And we can do it on different days and conditions. I have a 200 yard range behind my shop and a very good bench and wind flags. My point here is that it is a well known FACT....not just opinion, that some cartridges are inherently more accurate than others. What you have stated(in red particularly) Diputes what I claim to be a substantiated fact, even though you backed off of your stance a bit by saying that it wouldn't matter much in the field.:confused:
    Sound like a fair test? It'll be fun!--Mike

12. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I volunteer to be the shooter.

13. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I'd like to purchase front row seats!! I'll even bring along some beer:D

14. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    I'd be interested in seeing that test too. Personally, I'm with Mike E.'s camp of inherent accuracy. I get to test a lot of rifles of a particular brand and certain calibers are almost always accurate, some are hit and miss.

15. Double D Farms

Double D Farms 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Ohio County, KY
    Hey, everyone, have you met brent? Back to your subject, just my opinion, but either one in a quality gun, with quality optics, should do great. I think ammo is more available in more configurations for the .243 & is probably a more versatile caliber for uses besides varmint hunting.