22-250 owners??????

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by sa_hunt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. skeetshooter105

skeetshooter105 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2005
    Hardin County Swamps
    I suppose I have been lucky... Never had to track a deer when shot with a .222 or 22-250. They are dead at the shot.\
    Killed my buck this year with a .243 youth model Remington.
    Shot Barnes 85 grain STX bullet ahead of Hodgdon Varget powder. I have the bullet from that deer. Opened to .40 cal size in perfect four sided star, retained 100% of weight, broke rib going into deer, exploded heart and lungs,broke another rib and stuck under the skin on the outgoing side. This knock down power from a bullet this size is unbelieveable. I have seen many test of this bullet and all have proven it to be fantastic. This deer did move, 3 yards... Shot was 110 yards, off hand. Deer weighed over 200 lbs. 8 pts.

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Your Lt Gov killed a deer with one last year.

3. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    they'll put'em down but a lot of times you need to put another one in him

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2007
    Marion Co
    Now you KNOW that NO bullet fired from a practical shoulder held rifle is going to "set them back 5-6 feet" UNLESS you've been watching too many movies. It's the deer's muscle reactions that MIGHT make you think they're knocked back. Ever watch a deer get hit in side that's facing you-especially on high speed camera or slowing down frame by frame? Most .22-250s feature 1-14 to 1-12 twist which is entirely too slow to mantain that "needle like" accuracy with the heavier weight/constructed bullets specifically designed to penetrate deer sized game. Sure-SOME kills will be spectacularly quick BUT not reliable for every shot-especially if you hit a rib or shoulder on the way in. Yall do what you want-you will anyway -but I consider hunting with .22s unethical.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If it sets the deer back 5 or 6 feet, then it must necessarily set the shooter back that distance as well. "Equal and opposite," if you remember that from Physics class.

6. styxvalleydan

styxvalleydan Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    if it helps you some, my best friend has been killing deer with his mini 14 .223 for years. im not sure how the 2 rounds compare. also if you look on their website fur-fish-game magazine had an article all about using 22-250 for whitetail. my own personal opinion, i would give it a shot ive seen 250 rounds for sale up to the 60 gr range. take it out with you my only concern would be careful shot placement. i guess if your in a stand looking over a nice open field with low wind it would be alright. if your beating brush and making jump shots. i would reconsider.

7. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    well it looks like it sometimes, didn't mean to imply any physics lessons..

the equal/opposite deal brings up an interesting point of discussion. the new caliber tc has is the 30tc, supposed to have equal capabilities as the 30-06, only to have recoil as light as a .243 ......... how can you explain that?? the bullet has to be pushed out the barrel and that equal force goes back into you, so how can you push a bullet equally as fast with half the recoil!??!??!

8. wildman6

wildman6 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    on the lake
    it will be hard to kill a deer with a 22-250 but they are a very flat shooting gun so this may give you an advantage but use a very good bullet if you do deer hunt with it.

9. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY

Two words--"Efficiency" and "Air"
    What some people don't consider when attempting to apply Newtons law of motion to guns is "air". About 80% of felt recoil from a hunting gun is from air. The blast from the muzzle and the resistance the air has against it generates the vast majority of the recoil. A more efficient cartridge can do the same or more with less powder, creating less muzzle blast, moving less air.
    This is why a muzzle brake works so well at reducing recoil.

As a side note..Some of the World's most accurate cartridges are also the most efficient ones.---Mike Ezell

10. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    still don't make any sense...... for every action there is an equal reaction which would be recoil......... it's not like that bullet is so aerodynamic it created a lot less recoil, it's not a different bullet

11. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    Just a quick story about the .22-250. A guy I work with went out to Montana last week to hunt mule deer. He and his guide were climbing a huge hill to overlook the pararie. The guy is sucking wind and the guide gets to the top and starts glassing. The guide signals to him to get there quick because he jumped a nice buck. He rushes over, the guide tells him to use his gun because he already has it on a heat a seat as a rest. He sees the buck and takes the shot at 267 yards (laser verified). The buck takes 10 steps and drops stone cold dead. What was the rifle, a .22-250. Nothing told that 5x5 that the .22-250 was too little to kill him. Bottom line, if you put a bullet where it needs to be it will do the job provided you select the proper bullet. Bullet selection and placement are the two most important factors when debating the leathality of a caliber.

12. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I have explained it it terms that you should understand. You are NOT accounting for the air that is being moved with Newton's law..only the projectile and IT'S velocity. That only accounts for about 20% of the recoil.

I have dedicated a lot of time over the past two years developing a cartridge that is the MOST EFFICIENT cartridge for it's designed purpose that there is...bar none. Accuracy and efficiency go hand in hand. There are lots of other parameters that one must work within to develope a cartridge that is the BEST at it's job...but I do know a thing or two about it.

Is it the flame itself or the air moved that makes a rocket take off?

Mike Ezell

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  13. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky

air.............. that explains a lot

14. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Do I detect a bit of sarcasm...or understanding of what's happening and why?---Mike Ezell

15. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    just don't see whats any different about the air.... i don't get it..... what is this air you talk about? each bullet has to move air traveling down the barrel.....