22-250 owners??????

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by sa_hunt, Nov 9, 2008.

1. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    I have hunted all my life with either my 30-06, my .308 or the .270 I bought a tikka 22-250 gun to varmint hunt with a shoot a yote or two but never really considered deer hunting with it. Just wondering if they are good deer killers also? I know that the first slight touch of a branch would make that tiny bullet disintegrate is the bad part. So if you have any information on the use of this caliber on deer, let me know. Thanks guys.

2. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I wouldn't deer hunt with it. There's too much of a chance of wounding a deer that you will not recover. Sure, with exact shot placement, they'll kill a deer. But why take the chance when you have the bigger guns?

3. johnnylightnin

johnnylightnin 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2008
    St. Matthews
    A buddy of mine has killed many a deer with his .22-250. Of course, he hunts in the marsh in South, LA. He takes a lot of long, clear, shots.

4. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    Why take the chance you ask? Because I love hunting with a variety of guns and calibers thats all. I just know it is devastating on everything else I have shot with it. And you can dot i's with it at some long distances. Anyone else deer hunt with this caliber?

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Nuff said :cool:

6. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    as was posted recently in the "AR-15" thread...

If you must use the 22-250 on deer you owe it to the animal to use a bullet designed to hold together on larger game. Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Winchester Power Points will be your best choices.

The run of the mill 40 to 55 grain bullets in most factory loads are designed with prairie dogs and ground hogs in mind. You will be disappointed with their inconsistent results on deer. All things considered the .22 caliber is a poor choice for deer.

Look at it this way....you might kill an elephant or buffalo with a .243 - but would you really like to take the chance given that the bullet might fail to do the job?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. skeetshooter105

skeetshooter105 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2005
    Hardin County Swamps
    If you have the accuracy yes, it will take any deer in Kentucky. I would suggest using the Barnes TSX 63 grain bullets ahead of Hodgdon Varget Powder. Fantastic. Bullet will not explode but holds together in a star pattern upon entry into any game animal. I have started using this bullet in my .222's, 22-250's, .243 Win. and 7MM-08 Remington. Best I have used and I have tried them all in my 50+ years of hunting and target shooting. Took one out of a 200+ pound deer today. Still retained 100% of its weight. Four star cutting pattern. Deer went 3 yards. Lets face facts: some hunters should not be allowed in the woods with a .375 Mag. Accuracy (shot placement) takes top priority in harvesting any game animal..

8. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    HAHA funny that you would ask
    when i gun hunted i always used an 06 but my brother borrowed mine so i had nothing left but a bow so i decided i would pack my 22-250 in case i saw a yote or a doe sure enuff one popped in on me and BOOOOOOM

she didnt go 40 yards and when skinnin her it looked like a gernade went off inside her lots of blood to follow i wouldnt shoot it in thick stuff
    but believe me its deadly

9. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    i've shot a 22-250 my whole life...... they are excellent deer rifles in the right spot....... brush.... NO WAY open areas, they pack a whallop

some may say tiny bullet, but it's a tiny bullet traveling at 4000 fps... my grandpa uses a 22-250 and most his deer never take the first step. you'll have a tiny entry hole, and i've never seen one exit.. when you gut them and get up to the heart and lungs, it just looks like a blob of shredded stuff.......

so yea there fine, but if you hit a blade of grass, twig, anything like that and your done

10. wimpfarm

wimpfarm Fawn

Nov 25, 2007
    Cecilia,Ky
    I have gotten two with a 22-250 both went down quick, if you have good accuracy then no trouble at all, but if you can't place a shot worth a crap better stay with a bigger caliber .

11. gotopless

gotopless 6 pointer

Apr 8, 2003
    flemingsburg, ky, USA.
    i hunt with a 22-250 the last 3yrs, no problems, no deer has went more then 50yds. i took a 17 yr old young man with me this yr, he used it. first time even shooting the gun, 75-80 yd shot, across a hollar, little low on placement, but only went 40yds. i hunted with 300mag, 338mag, 7mm-08, 270, 30-30. i have to say 22-250 is my fav. hands down.

12. my3sons

my3sons Fawn

Nov 3, 2008
    Lawrenceburg Ky
    No exit holes mean less blood on the trail to follow. It's hard to beat that .308 Win.

13. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004
    I've killed two does with a 22-250.Far as i could tell they were just as dead as with my 06.

14. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    no exit hole also means the deer absorbed the full energy that the bullet was carrying......... I've seen deer hit with a 22-250 and it literally set them back 5 or 6 feet, you'd think they hit a brick wall...

I've never seen a deer hit with a 22-250 that needed tracking..

15. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004

Nice Scott:D. Very true