2021 Up North Grouse/Woodcock thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by I'm gg too, Sep 10, 2021.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Are the Wolves Legal to Shoot? Season? Not sure where you are exactly.
    That's the only thing Up there I would be interested in Shooting.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

This is latest I’ve seen on next month’s wolf season, and yes I’m right in the middle of the wolf zone … come up and kill them all.
    https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/wolf/index.html

Feedman likes this.
  3. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    heading to the Michigan UP Thursday for Grouse. Hopefully Woodcock are still around

4. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Northern Wisc has been unseasonably hot last four days. Humidity is 99%. Seriously. Not seeing very many grouse but wood cock are available and where they ought to be in habitat that suits them. Seems like there are very few young grouse where I have been. Older and smarter birds are all but unapproachable. It’s grouse hunting though. Just along drive to get to do it since they are all but extinct in old time local areas in southeast US.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Any more news on the leave and undergrowth? Hoping for frost but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon, but curious if the shorter days are having any effect on the green that makes it hard to see in the woods?

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    way up in Northern Wisconsin the leaves were 60-75% down in hardwoods and 100% down in popple this week.

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Leaves are basically gone, but thigh high weeds still standing everywhere.

Moving 3-5 grouse per hour and WC are everywhere.

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I was east of Philips Wi a good ways and saw less than a grouse an hour but lots of woodcock. I was hunting in private ground mostly and the age class of the woods and various interconnected cuts would be considered prime popple age density and good adjacent covers for grouse. That area apparently took a real WNV hit in the last few years...never hunted the same area twice . A WI local friend and I hunted more than thirty different covers over five days.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    Just back from the U.P. The first of the week was dry and hot and had to carry water for the dog. The first few days averaged 10 flushes per day, later in the week when it cooled off 20. Leaves were gone but the underbrush was still green making it a bit hard for the dog to dial in. By the end of the week it all came together and the last two days were great. The dog started really pinning them down and it resulted in a long overdue limit, and a double. Walked 9-13 miles a day through mainly a mix, but a lot of popples along clover strewn two tracks. Fewer birds than last year but it could have been the heat keeping them further back in the thicker cover.

Weather dependent may go back up in a week or two, or just wait for an out west quail and pheasant hunt.

Hope all going great dog work and straight shooting.

Bee and bondhu like this.
  10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Hey Happy Camper,
    Just curious was you east or west UP ?
    My report from Paulding was dry and green. So I didn't go this week. Thought I might go later.
    Also , I have only been to the UP in October. How late can I wait to go up and grouse hunt ?

Thanks a bunch

Happy Camper likes this.
  11. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I was 20 to 30 miles east of Paulding but hunted near there a couple of days. I've hunted on Halloween and done really well but there was no snow. Last year I was up there around the 20th and got 4 to 6 inches and that pretty much ended the trip and I came home a day early. Just check the weather and if there is no chance of snow accumulation you should be good. Good luck and safe travels.

bondhu likes this.
  12. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

DEF2F155-3B11-48C3-852B-A0C879077D0E.jpeg F2EEEBFD-C4D4-4088-B9AC-AB16F1F7104F.jpeg 70FB0D12-2040-495E-95FB-691CA701E212.jpeg
    From the early posts of this thread, this is our pick of the litter stud fee puppy … Grouse Busters RIP.

For anyone interested, there is one very nice female left in the litter.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Feedman and Happy Camper like this.
  13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Good looking pup

14. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    If any of you are breaking a new young dog the time to be in the woods is now. While grouse hunting yesterday we flew 10 woodcock and while quail and grouse hunting today we flew close to 50. About 20 of them were in the quail area and 30 or more were up a really long dark hollow which was basically grown up pasture beeches on one side and a timber cut on the other. We also flew a couple of grouse in this hollow which generally produces birds but did not last year. The hunt yesterday did not produce any grouse but maybe one grouse point
    Our up north trip to Michigan was one of our best with most of the birds being a brown phase like we have here. I don't know if grouse numbers will be better but the feed they have this year is unbelievable,beechnuts, autumn olive berries, wild grapes, teaberry dogwood berries, acorns,alder catkins a couple of berries I can't identify, greenbriar berries, and their usual salad bowl. This sure can't hurt to feed those that are left.
    On another note I have just finished publication of a book entitled A Life's Journey Outdoors which is a collection of outdoor columns I have written for the local paper and other publications for the past several years. It is my observations and experiences in the field with seventeen English Setters in my lifetime, wading creeks and rivers for smallmouth bass, old cemeteries and farmhouses from days gone by, and general thoughts on the natural world. It is available from butlerbooks.com if you are interested.

Feedman, HeadedWest and Deadbeat like this.
  15. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Nice to see a veteran from the field publishing, Lucky Dog.