2021 Up North Grouse/Woodcock thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by I'm gg too, Sep 10, 2021.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Are the Wolves Legal to Shoot? Season? Not sure where you are exactly.
    That's the only thing Up there I would be interested in Shooting.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

This is latest I’ve seen on next month’s wolf season, and yes I’m right in the middle of the wolf zone … come up and kill them all.
    https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/wolf/index.html

Feedman likes this.
  3. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    heading to the Michigan UP Thursday for Grouse. Hopefully Woodcock are still around

4. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Northern Wisc has been unseasonably hot last four days. Humidity is 99%. Seriously. Not seeing very many grouse but wood cock are available and where they ought to be in habitat that suits them. Seems like there are very few young grouse where I have been. Older and smarter birds are all but unapproachable. It’s grouse hunting though. Just along drive to get to do it since they are all but extinct in old time local areas in southeast US.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Any more news on the leave and undergrowth? Hoping for frost but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon, but curious if the shorter days are having any effect on the green that makes it hard to see in the woods?

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    way up in Northern Wisconsin the leaves were 60-75% down in hardwoods and 100% down in popple this week.

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Leaves are basically gone, but thigh high weeds still standing everywhere.

Moving 3-5 grouse per hour and WC are everywhere.

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I was east of Philips Wi a good ways and saw less than a grouse an hour but lots of woodcock. I was hunting in private ground mostly and the age class of the woods and various interconnected cuts would be considered prime popple age density and good adjacent covers for grouse. That area apparently took a real WNV hit in the last few years...never hunted the same area twice . A WI local friend and I hunted more than thirty different covers over five days.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 5:35 PM