2021 Up North Grouse/Woodcock thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by I'm gg too, Sep 10, 2021.

1. This is grouseguy. My original account was hacked / disabled and the mods have not responded to my requests to correct, so I'm using this account now.

I retired this year and I'm already up north and will be here through at least the end of October. I've been helping my buddy at flambeauforestoutfitters.com run his bear baits and been seeing several grouse even with the vegetation still being very thick. I'll try to keep you guys updated if anything interesting occurs.

For a change its dry in the northwoods this year with no where near the water levels we've had in the past several years.

Also, for any of you guys interested and planning on coming north, I just listed a litter of english setter pups in the classified section at the link below.

https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/english-setter-pups.180331/

2. Been seeing a lot of grouse while out and about ... and while bear baiting. Houndsmen have been running since Wednesday with lots of small bears treed. Know of one 400lb+ bear killed by our circle of friends.

Bait sitters start this Wednesday, the 15th ... should be a busy and fun day. The baits I've been around have been hit regularly by multiple bears, with at least one large boar on each bait. Also, seeing lots of wolves on trail cams ... be sure to run beepers ... I've yet to hear of a bird dog attacked with a beeper on.

Woods are still dry and I'm happy to be wearing leather boots. I hate hunting in rubber boots, but that's what its been the past few years.

Should be a good year guys ... get vaccinated and use whatever vacation days you've built up to come north and enjoy grouse hunting again ... (that we don't have anymore:().

3. Fun trail cam pic ... look closely ... black bear treed by timber wolf.
    wolf-bear 09-21.jpg

timer, bird whisperer and Feedman like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Great Picture,

How have you been?

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Been doing good … “Livin the dream” as they say. After 39 years of working full time (not counting my HS & college years), I’m really enjoying my first fall of retirement. Bear season starts Wednesday and grouse season comes in Saturday. :):cool:

Also, it appears the mods have cleaned up my old grouseguy account. :D

bondhu and Feedman like this.
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    You had to add get vaccinated didnt ya. Can’t help it can ya.
    Good luck on the bear and grouse.

7. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

There is absolutely no reason to politicize this. This is a public heath issue. If you're coming north for grouse/woodcock season, you're going thru 4 or so states that are hot with Covid right now and engaging a completely new population at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, hotels/resorts, etc. Seriously, if you're not vaccinated ... please stay in KY.

8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I can't wait to come north and hunt, I had covid a month ago so I'm gonna skip the "jab" and just hunt like I do every other year. I am hearing good reports of birds from the locals where I used to hunt and where I hunt now, I think it's gonna be a good year for people who will walk and hunt.

9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congrats on the retirement. Nothing like setters on grouse , nice pups. Keep us posted on the birds and good luck.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Did some mowing and weedeating around the house today and then went a few miles to a gravel bar on the Flambeau River. Caught a small musky (maybe 22-24”) and a few smallies while wading.

Was at a cookout Sunday with some of the houndsmen and most were seeing grouse regularly. Should be a good year.

Haven’t had a frost yet, but trees are showing color and starting to shed leaves. Temps in the 60 / 40’s. Waterfowl are starting to congregate … had 2 swans on our lake this weekend.

Bait sitters start tomorrow. My buddy has 6 clients and “Bear Camp” based out of his garage is quite the social event … think block party / pot luck dinner with several of the locals dropping by to see any successful harvests. grousegal is in charge of the main dish tomorrow … venison spaghetti sauce.

Hopefully I’ll have some pics tomorrow evening.

mudhole crossing, bondhu and Feedman like this.
  11. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Whatever dude.

12. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker Spike

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Of course his account got hacked and he just decided to join back up and throw in that ( JAB ) comment. It's no secret anymore that every single forum and online public access groups have had DOA members accounts used as propaganda. Nothing new under the sun. My advice is to enjoy as much hunting, shooting, fishing, and time with family as you can. The younger generations are not going to get to do as much outdoor fun. "retire" that's something that many of use know as only a dream or fantasy.

13. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    When do you expect the first frost up that way? Curious when the leaves will start coming off.

14. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

There is no frost forecast for the foreseeable future. It's not predicted to get below 50 at night until next week and highs around 70. Leaves are falling pretty good right now ... they're probably 50% gone, but they're dry and noisy. It's like walking on corn flakes in the woods.

It is also terribly dry. Little to no water in the woods ... I'm having to carry water for the dogs or they play out early. Basically, you're limited to hunting 2-3 hours at daylight and maybe the last hour of the day.

The good news is there seems to be plenty of grouse. I'm averaging about 5 flushes per hour of hunting. A few resident WC, but no flight birds yet.

bondhu likes this.
  15. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I think I will head up that way on the 22nd and hunt a few days, if the leaves start falling heavy I may move it back a few days. That is good news on the bird numbers for grouse, I hope I hit the woodcock migration at a good time, I have missed it the last few years.