2021 Turkey Harvest Totals (Spring)

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoorsMag, May 10, 2021.

1. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Lol..i agree. Ol' bg sounds like one helluva turkey poacher.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Geez. I saw six die last year in Barren. Two this year. Lol. I killed two last year, and two this year.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Bullitt recorded 131 birds. I didn't hear any shots the 6 days I was out knocking around.

4. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Hart was miserable for me this year.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I apologize for any confusion I've caused. If I see a bird flop, I "killed" it. I rarely hunt alone, and always let my companion shoot a solo bird. I love turkey hunting, and love seeing them flop. I normally pull the trigger twice. On occasion, I only pull the trigger once. On even rarer occassion, I pull the trigger 3 times, requiring a second shot on a bird. I'm a pretty decent caller, and I have a pretty good understanding of turkeys. I take a lot of people, and love to see them kill...... Turkey hunting to me is a hunt best shared with someone... I rarely hunt alone. If I hunted alone, turkey season would rarely last longer than the first weekend....

OLE RASPY and Recurve77 like this.
  6. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    I see 2018 Shows a total harvest of 27,255 vs 29,217 here in 2021. Male birds were 26,994 in 2018 vs 28,985 in 2021. So to me it seems 2018 was quite a bit worse. I have noticed more people hunting it seems by gas stations and social media but no factual evidence to support that. If that's the case birds are still down because a level harvest with more hunters should not happen

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Mulenburg took the cake. Logan took the icing. :D

8. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Hunted 3 mornings in Logsdon Valley area of Hart county, heard one bird and he was on other property. Worst I've seen in Hart since before reintroduction days.

9. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I've been collecting data on my area since 2001 and plugging it into a worksheet. I live on the Bracken/Pendleton line, so I watch both counties and the NE region totals.
    I just plugged in the 2021 numbers.

Bracken County had 292 birds. This was below average and below the 20-year trendline.
    Pendleton County had 392 birds. This was also below average and below the 20-year trendline.
    NE Region had 4050 birds. This is above average, but below the 20-year trendline.

In general, the trends in Bracken and Pendleton are nearly flat, but still trending slightly downward. The trend for the NE region has been pointing strongly positive for a decade and still moving up. Bracken used to be the powerhouse in the NE Region, but its share of birds has dwindled. While other counties in the NE are booming, Bracken has gone flat.

10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    All I know is the hunting sucked where I was at.

cedar creek and BootsOn27 like this.
  11. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    A lot of muhlenberg birds came from the wet site & peabody though.

12. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Wet site?

RLWEBB likes this.
  13. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Im just down the road near Scottsville/Fountain Run area. Live right near barren river/long creek area. An it was by far the worst year I have ever had all around as far as seeing and hearing turkeys. Several years ago for years I had birds everywhere around my house and where I hunt. Not anymore. If you heard 1 gobble a day it was a good day. I have hunted these birds for over 20 years. An have seen my fair share of action over the years. So im not new to hunting at all. An I don't care what the numbers say there is a major issue in my area with the turkeys. The rest of the critters seem to be fine though. Barren river lake and Barren river in General use to be full of birds. Nothing to drive around and see 60 plus. Those days are long gone. Something has to change or its never going to get any better. People blame predators and weather for most of it. An there right to some degree I feel. But there is a multitude of contributing factors in my opinion. One is the fact that turkey hunters have evolved. An add fancy calls,blinds,camo,shotguns etc. An it makes it tough on the ol lonely tom. I have always said you can drop me off on a 400 acre farm with just one gobbler and give me a week or two and chances are I will kill him. Maybe not the way I want but if he stays around he will mess up eventually. So I don't base the population strictly on harvest numbers. Because there are way to many factors there that are unknown. But again what I do know is there is near the birds around me as there us to be. At this rate I will never kill another. Im not gonna kill the 1 or 2 birds I have to hunt and take away from the kids and the future of the population. I love turkey hunting more then anything. But the conservation and preservation means way more to me then killing. An 15-20 years ago I would have never dreamed it would have gotten this bad in my area. Land is still pretty much the same except the birds have all but vanished. Actually listened this morning at day light. Use to hear them every year gobble in the mornings up until atleast the last week of may. Not a peep. An im on a high spot in gods country with no wind this morning. Worries me for the future hunters out there to say the least.

cedar creek, Nock, Feedman and 4 others like this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’d like to hear a person or two chime in from SE Ky. I swear when I got drawn for elk hunt in 2018 we jumped turkeys everywhere. Guys I hunted with said rarely do they go past first week of spring season without tagging out. What day you? This was outside of Hazard. Is it like other places, you have to have access to the right property? I know these fellas had darn good farms to hunt.

15. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I work with a guy that lives in bowling green but turkey hunts in Hazard. He killed a bird this year. But he said its been tough. An been getting tougher for several years now compared to the past. He killed his bird out of blind with dekes set out in front of it. He said it took 3 days all day hunts before he got one. Nothing would gobble he said. An from what he says he has some good ground to hunt.