2021-22 Quota Hunts

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Oct 7, 2021.

1. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I’m not advocating for this BUT in Alabama, the biologist aren’t allowed to hunt the units they manage. Sucks for them, but definitely removes the conflict of interest.

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Id rather they do hunt them. Be as invested in setting the table for birds as they can be.

How many years in the early part of the season has the river been too low to pump from at Ballard?

At every DU banquet we ought to set out a jar where you can donate to help improve the blinds at Ballard and Boatwright. There are some nice pits at Ballard but there are some terrible designed blinds too. Only small benches in the corners of a few stand up blinds. They are usually brushed well but not very comfortable to hunt out of for long nor the best for kids or dogs.

aceoky and WMAallDAY like this.
  3. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    Heading down to Ballard on Wednesday. From the looks of it they’ll have 2” of ice by then? Had anybody been down there with weather like this? I can deal with some ice but if the refuge freezes it’s game over.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have not hunted the refuge since 2006..

But I have broke 3+ inches of ice on Flat Lake with a boat. We could not even get to the spot we picked(They did not mention that) Whirled around trying to toss the ice out of the hole with poor results. Killed one duck.

Birds should still be there but be prepared to open a hole. Take a net ect to get the ice out

5. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    sounds like my usual goat roping operation around home here. It’s going to be warmer Monday so any ice will probably be rotten and easier to break.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    You need rain, current, warm well water or a combination of the three.