2020 Squirrel Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JG26_Irish, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Spike

Aug 21, 2007
    Berea, Ky
    Went for a bit this morning out on the Miller-Welch WMA in Madison. Saw one but that was about it. There wasn't too much moving around out there this morning except for another hunter. Never heard a shot though.

2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I went out this Monday morning for three hours seeing only one Squirrel.

3. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Hunted for a little while in Meade county, Saturday morning. Found 6 or 7 in one big pig nut hickory at day light. Shot out 4 grays, the rest escaped. Hunted till it started getting hot, about 9:30 am, couldn't find any others. Saw a flock of turkey, hen and 6 poults. Got lucky, not a single tick.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yes. I’ve witnessed that behavior before. Pretty cool.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  5. I went out on my own for a few hours Sat. Took the 22. I could bag more squirrels with a shotgun but I really do not care if I kill one or not. I saw five. Had legitimate shots at three but chose not to shoot at any. Good hunt. Bloody hot and humid though. Went back Sunday morning with a brother from my lodge. We hunted the DBNF near Cave Run Lake and had a great hunt. Saw six and he saw five. Neither of us shot a squirrel but had a great time and retired to my cabin for a Frosty Freeze Country Ham, eggs, hash browns, grave and biscuits breakfast. Still too hot for me. It is supposed to cool off for a few days this week. May try to go back and get serious with em.

They seem to be just starting to cut on the shag bark hickories here. I recall my days as a 10 & 11 yr old boy hunting with my Dad or my Pop (Grandfather). Both were good hunters and taught me well. We used shotguns then cause we hunted for meat more than sport. My first year was with a Win 37 in 410 and I struggled to kill them with that lil gun cause our timber was huge and it was nothing for the trees to be 60y to the tops when terrain was factored in. Too far for the popgun. The 2nd year, my Pop gave me his father-in-laws old single shot Ever Best 16ga. It never missed a shot. Tightest shooting shotgun I have ever seen. It was light and easy to carry and I still have it to this day. Pop passed away that winter right before Christmas and Dad passed in 1997. By then I was grown, married and raising three kids. Too busy to hunt or fish.

Hard to believe they been gone that long. I also have Pop's Win 37 in 12ga and my Dad's Remington 1100 in 12ga as well as my other Grandpa's Ithaca 37 12ga pump and my Uncles Remington 41 bolt action 22. I don't hunt with any of them guns anymore. They are treasured heirlooms. I have managed to instill a love of squirrel hunting into my son who is my favorite hunting buddy. He is an adult now with work and family demands of his own which limit our hunting times but we try to get together when we can. Reminds me of a Harry Chapin song - Cats in the Cradle. I tear up a little every time I hear that song. I guess it is a curse of all Dad's to be busy with work and career and life in general and to not take as much time as we would like to be a father and mentor to our kids. And in the blink of an eye they are grown and gone. If we are lucky and live long enough, our grand kids are our chance at a do-over.

6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Took Connor yesterday evening and he missed one. But that’s part of it. When he has missed a turkey he gets down and cries. Squirrel, no. I remember back when I was growing up a squirrel miss was horrible for me. Times have changed for sure.

charles.bauswell and cedar creek like this.
  7. desmogger

desmogger Fawn

Sep 10, 2004
    Annapolis, MD, USA.
    I remember squirrel hunting with my old Ruger Single Six 6.5 inch barrel. and coming out of the woods with 3 or 4 squirrels hanging off my belt holder and the ruger in its left hand holster and being stopped by the game warden. He didn't believe I shot em with the revolver. Everyone was clean head shot. I could really sit still back in those days. And it was nothing to pop a squirrel from 25 feet or less even with a handgun.

Carl likes this.
  8. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Killed 3 this morning before work. Could have killed more but I had to get home and work a little; I work from home. Then cooked up a pot of squirrel gravy and biscuits and invited my papaw down.

They're cutting tight bark really good. I only know of 1 shag bark they're cutting on.

redjackson, davers and barney like this.
  9. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I managed 3 big Grey's on public ground Sunday night. 2 out of the same shagbark and the other just down the ridge. I snuck in tight on the single one and literally had shavings falling on me from where he was cutting above me. When I squeezed off with the 20ga he dang near fell in my lap. That was a lot of fun

1wildcatfan, dabassking, Carl and 2 others like this.
  10. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Got 4 this morning out of the tops of the tallest walnut trees in the dam county. Saw a few in the pignuts, but they're definitely favoring walnuts around here, at the moment.
    IMG_20200829_090057_copy_1209x1612.jpg

11. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    60717F20-874F-41BA-8852-31C248BE890B.jpeg F8433258-BCF8-4956-A678-61900865CD66.jpeg Got 1 yesterday and 3 this morning on public land with the 22. First squirrel I’ve killed that had a scar from being shot before

12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Y’all gettin me in the mood to go now. Lol. Still little warm for me but I’m covered up in squirrels. I’ve been building a shed on my land this weekend and I’ve heard a lot squirrels barking and cuttin. They won’t last long though. Lol

Carl likes this.
  13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    While we are talking about squirrels, I have to say something. Something that pisses me off is when people call them "tree rats". Squirrel hunting has been my favorite hunting since I was a small kid. They were an important meat for our table. The term tree rat is disrespectful to this game animal. I don't eat frickin rats but I like squirrel.

hotdog, Dark Cloud, Feedman and 3 others like this.
  14. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I've been watching the yard squirrels here and have seen em do that a couple times now. I was thinking it was some kinda courting something or another but the grooming sounds more like it

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Season ain't started here in Va yet but I'm sure itching to go if I'm able to walk around d very much. Be following my buddies diag which gonna be tuff with all these leaves still on.

How many yall hunt em with squirrel dogs

Dark Cloud likes this.