2018 hunting season date change

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Monster01, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Monster01

Monster01 8 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    I heard season was opening in October and rifle was moving to December and bow ending in December.
    Im not playing I really heard this.
    I'm in zone 4 and that's probably the only zone he was talking about when he told me . does anyone have any legit way to confirm that this is or is not on the table.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Oh boy, Can't wait.

Season dates are usually not set until the March meeting.

Who is telling these rumors?

3. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    I hope not, I like it the way it is.
    I don't have any knowledge either way but I'd be shocked if they move the archery opener back to Oct much less the rifle opener to Dec. KY is one of the few states to get a velvet buck so there's be lots pushback by archers. If they want they herd controlled it seems backa$$wards to move rifle out of the rut; however, areas hit hard by ehd could bring some focused changes in those areas. Just my opinion.

4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Perhaps they are thinking of creating a 5th zone for the areas devastated by the EHD?

5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Might be that those counties hit hard by EHD will be closed for Deer Hunting for a few years.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    As I've stated many times...I will be shocked if changes are made to the seasons. Like many on here, I'll bet I can go ahead and pencil it in for next year without waiting on new regs.

dmullins likes this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Heard from whom?

rabbit dawg likes this.
  8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I heard Atlatl only in Semptember but can' say from whom , same person said gun would open at same time but the rut would be moved so it wasn't during gun season

pentail and dmullins like this.
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I believe you. I also heard they may cancel the rut altogether if the sexual harassment reports don't stop.

10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Atlatl hunters ruining it for all the slingshot hunters, personally think they should ban them and only allow slingshots. None of those fancy wrist rockets you buy at the Walmart but the ones you hand carve and none of those steel ball bearings. Matter fact I'll do like ol Natureboy, but instead of a shotgun I'll just take my slingshot I carved out of a hickory limb and my rocks I picked up on the bank of Pond River then crawl in the biggest, nastiest briar thicket I can find and kill the biggest buck ever to walk in Muhlenberg, Hopkins, and Christian county. Providing my Ozonics, Scent Lock, and that B-A-Doe cover scent all work like they are supposed to. Then I'm going to post pics of him on FB asking about score and age even though I know he's at least 15 years old b/c first time I saw him was 10 years ago and he was 5 years old if not older back then.

Btw yes I'm bored

11. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I heard resident licenses were going to double, since the non residents who pay more are actually better managers because of it.

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Also on the table for March ;
    (1) a proposal to only allow the feeding of actual " deer corn " which should limit the negative effect of xbow hunters on the turkey population
    (2) a proposal to allow trail cam pictures to qualify as a legal " kill ", it is believed this would reduce the actual buck harvest and encourage hunters to shoot more does as they tend to fill up SD cards .
    (3) A proposal to charge $ 2.00 per inch on all bucks over 130" to discourage OOS hunters from killing all the mature bucks that residents have been feeding " deer corn " to for the months leading up to gun season .
    (4) A proposal to base all future regulation on the recommendations of KY Hunting.net forum members , especially the bow hunting purists there

itstherush likes this.
  13. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Actually, bow hunting is going to be banned next year, but it'll be back in 2019. Rifle season will be in July. They are also going to allow baiting on WMAs.

There, you really just heard this. Now go ask some random people elsewhere if it's true or not.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Not to get too complicated but why not long and recurve only in Sempt, compound season starts October 1, cap and ball only for the early October muzzle weekend, crossbow open from November 1st to the 2nd, normal gun season, inline muzzle in December, then January 1 let the crossbow army finish out the season.

15. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    For mineral licks, I reckon salt peter blocks will be the only ones allowed next year in zone 1 and 2 counties...to help rebuild the herd in the zone 3 and 4 counties wiped out by EHD, salt blocks will be a new blue color.