2017 Hunting Apps

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneArrow, Aug 27, 2017.

1. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I know many people have no interest in using the latest app from Apple or Android to assist in hunting. While I started hunting many years before the first smart phone, I have grown quite fond of a few apps on the iPhone. I would like to mention some apps I have used, and also hear what apps everyone else is using.

What apps are you using in 2017? What are some basics to the app? What makes it better than the next app that does similar or the same thing?

1) My favorite app is Wunderground. Weather is the most important factor to determine if, where, when, how I hunt. One key part to hunting (in my opinion) is the barometric pressure. Not only does this app show the current reading, but this year it now forecast what the barometric pressure will do later. I have not found any other app that will do this.

2) Hunt Stand: This app is fantastic for gps tracking. I do not just use the app, but I also use their website at home. It offers a lot of tagging/marking abilities such as stand locations, trails, sighting and much more. I really like the ability to see property boarders.

3) Field View: I have not tested a whole lot of this app, but its great for monitoring how much rain your fields received the day before. While I dont have any private land to set up food plots, I still like to see this information. For anyone with food plots, this would be a fantastic app.

I have also used some bad apps. I am not a fan of the app the Fishing and Wildlife has put out there. It seams too cumbersome to use, and doesnt offer many features for hunting.

I would love to hear about your favorite apps, or ones you have had a bad experience with.

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
  3. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Central KY
    iHunt by Ruger is really good for weather and more importantly forecasted barometric pressure.

4. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Does Hunt Stand work when you don't have cell service?

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    On X Hunt does

6. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

7. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Yes it does, but you have to pre load the map while you have cell service.

8. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    How good is the KY map on X Maps?

9. mustanginky

mustanginky 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2011
    louisville KY
    Where does hunt stand get property border info? Is the ap free?

10. Chuney1

Chuney1 Fawn

Aug 23, 2017
    Albemarle, NC
    I don't know where they get the info for property data, but the times I have used it, it has been accurate. The version I use is free.........and I think it gives 10 free "Parcel Data" requests.

Hope this helps

11. Docwaters

Docwaters 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2013
    Prospect
    I have used ScoutLook for a few years and really like it. Lots of historical data for stands, encounters, etc. Automatically loads weather and moon info for each sit. I hunt a number of properties over multiple states and the historical data over years really paints a picture that is useful. Also love Wunderground, the history feature is great to use when looking at trail camera pics to determine movement based on wind direction and barometric pressure.

12. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I have been using Huntstand to two seasons now to track my sightings. It is really nice to be able to look and say I seen this buck at this time at the point from this direction. Three times last season I had encounters overlap within 30 min of each other from one year to the next.

Probucktails, Recurve77 and LoneArrow like this.
  13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's interesting.

14. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    It really was to me. I'm waiting to see what my third season brings tracking data that closely.

15. jason head

jason head Fawn

Jul 25, 2016
    In terms of barometric pressure. What numbers are you guys looking for? Thx in advance, always looking to learn.