2016-2017 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 28, 2016.

1. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Only in the gun quota hunt, 103, 100, and 117 have only recently been re-opened as a hunting area, I think this is the 3rd or 4th year they have been opened back up for the gun hunts.

2. Firedog

Firedog Fawn

Oct 26, 2008
    86a?? Youth hunt

3. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Anyone know why 72 hasn't been open at all? I hunted there last year for the quota hunt and I was hoping I'd be able to get back in there this year for archery.

4. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    What's going on at knox nobody is posting anything has anybody got there papers for the gun hunt yet.whats things look like for hunting there for the quota hunts anyone seeing any deer.

5. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Anyone have any tips for Area 1? I'm hunting there on Wednesday, though I have never set foot in the area before.

6. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Have not been in Area 1 in a long time, but it was a rough road to get back in there. My son shot his first deer back there during a youth hunt. We were all the way back and had to drag that deer a mile back to the car. Go all the way down until you get to a large sandy open area. I would follow that tank trail back to the left.

There is a lake (Carpenter test bed lake) and the trail going back there was very overgrown the last time there. To get to the lake, the easiest path is the railroad tracks. There is a possible funnel running between the lake and the tracks. Between the lake and the river was very thick and will hold deer, just hard to hunt those thickets.

7. 1sttop

1sttop 6 pointer

Jun 29, 2007
    Flaherty, KY
    I got my packet today. Anybody know anything about Hays Flats? I heard it gets limited to no pressure.

II RiNgEyE II likes this.
  8. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

What area did you get that joins the flats? The majority of Hays Flats is an impact area.

9. bowhunter49

bowhunter49 Cyber-Hunter

Feb 27, 2002
    ky, USA.
    I need a copy of form FK 2759E weapons registration. I can't download from Knox site it has been down several days. I also called and they won't mail me one en if I send sase. If some one could post it here so I can make me a copy of send it to my e-mail address I would appreciate it. I live6 hours away from Knox. Thanks bowhunter 49. phippsl@bellsouth.net

10. bowhunter49

bowhunter49 Cyber-Hunter

Feb 27, 2002
    ky, USA.
    phippsl@bellsouth.net

11. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    So, I guess they've been mailed then.

12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    That "sandy open area" is now a huge clover field.......with hunters in stands about every 100 yards.

13. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Last time I was down there, the guys from the Ground Mobility Division where down there throwing and shooting clays. Not sure that range control would have been happy if they had known, but no one really went back there except GMD outside of hunting season.

14. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Larry,
    Ft Knox web has been down for updates.
    It's up and running, check the forum Inbox for more info.
    Note: To get on post, you have to get a Visitors Pass at Visitors Center.

15. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    It doesn't look good for bow hunters on Knox this weekend. Very few areas open on probably the busiest weekend of the year. I have the 11th and 12th, hopefully it opens up next week.