2016-2017 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I used Webb's Butcher Block last year. I had my meat back in about ten days.

2. walkerman

walkerman Fawn

Jun 14, 2009
    Boston, Ky
    First time hunting ft.knox and was wondering if anyone could tell me a few good areas? I know I will need to do some scouting but guys are hunting and I'm trying to not mess to many people up walking around. Thanks for any info.

3. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    The only advice I can give is acorns. I don't know much about there either but try to find oaks.

walkerman likes this.
  4. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Have they killed any bucks there so far, This year .

5. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    I think a total of 7 bucks have been killed since the opener, nothing big and a couple that were smaller than the 12inch minimum spread. make sure to double check the antlers before you shoot. Some other trends Game wardens are finding are people not wearing safety harnesses, this is mandatory to hunt on Fort Knox. People parking in off limits areas and walking into on limits. people driving into food plots. People bringing loaded firearms onto post through the gates. If you need to register a firearm at the provost marshal office they don't need or want the firearm there, they just need the serial number, make and model. Good luck

Docwaters likes this.
  6. CardinalHunter

CardinalHunter Fawn

Aug 28, 2016
    Any suggestions for area 6. Was out there all day today and yesterday. Didn't see a single deer nor sign.

7. columbia whitetail

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Me and 2 buddies hunted from Thursday till 2 hrs ago and saw 3 does. Lots of oaks and hard hunting. It rained on us every day.

8. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    So I've had people tell me I need to go to the welcome center and get some kind of paper before going through the gate? What's this about? I was just on post back in August and I didn't need anything other then my drivers liscense

9. columbia whitetail

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    It's a visitors pass. It's good for 6 months. Just something new. Word to the wise. Get there as soon as the doors open. You have to take a number and wait. Could take a while

10. bohuntn12

bohuntn12 Fawn

Oct 11, 2016
    The Army is sending me to FT. Knox in November, what are the chances of me being able to hunt during the two weeks that I will be there? Please help I am from Utah and would like the chance to say that I have tried hunting whitetail.

Thanks,

11. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Should be able to at least bow hunt, maybe, even gun hunt.
    Will need to purchase Ft Knox licenses and maybe, Ky license and tags, non-resident license.
    Go to Ft Knox Hunt Control website or call 502 624-7311.

12. bohuntn12

bohuntn12 Fawn

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you for the quick response, will I need to complete the applications and mail them in? or is this something I can do once I arrive? What are the odds that I will actually see whitetail? I am a western spot and stalk hunter and know nothing about hunting them smart whitetail bucks. If anyone is interested I would trade info and help for a Mule deer or Elk hunt here in Utah.

13. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I don't think active military have to do the applications, just purchase the proper tags, you will be a tier one hunter which means you would have the option of gun or bow. Regular bow season ends nov. 14th, so if you get here before that you would be coming at prime time. Call Hunt Control at the number

14. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    Hunt Control will answer all your questions and point you in the right direction to get started.

15. bohuntn12

bohuntn12 Fawn

Oct 11, 2016
    Ok, thank you I will call them. thanks for answering my questions I was excited and they are closed on Tuesday.