2016-2017 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GA Hunter

GA Hunter Fawn

Nov 16, 2015
    anyone hunted area 76? any word on it this year? thanks!

2. Michael A Parks

Michael A Parks Fawn

Dec 2, 2016
    still lookin for info area 80 last gun hunt..should we stay home bear and dear hunt or is area worth making the trip ..any info would be appreciated !!

3. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    Last year they allowed people to use either gate on Yano and would alternate which gate they opened first. Area guides for the ranges obviously have keys to the gates. They are free to enter the gate they choose, not sure why that's an issue? Remember area guides volunteer their time, doing a service for the hunters on knox, there are perks for volunteering their time. As for area guides doing shady stuff, it's up to the individual witnessing the act to either question the area guides intentions or report the behavior to HC. Complaining about it here doesn't fix anything. I personally believe there will still be area guides next year because it's a tremendous help to HC when it comes to keeping track of that many hunters at one time. HC can't handle that amount of call volumes when clearing for the evening. To answer the statement about why are there not area guides for the extended hunt? Well there are when they open the tank ranges and the volume of hunters is still much lower than during the quota hunts. Additionally, if area guides are done away with, the areas that are only opened during quota hunts will likely not be opened at all, reducing the opportunities for hunters. Is the system perfect? No but it works for most and I hope it stays in place in the future.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    There are two gates to be opened on Yano so one has to be first. This is an annual complaint and there's no fixing it.

5. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    They have fixed it, you may enter ONLY through the top gate. And yes the Party leader has the keys so I can understand why he would come through which ever gate would be easier, but if he is allowing others to come through with him, I would say he was in the wrong.

6. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    I personally like the system the way it is now but will hunt Knox no matter the changes. I would prefer a call in system for checking in though. Sucks if you don't make it in the day before Hunt Control closes and have to wait until 9 the next day.

As for Yano we came in on the bottom last year during the archery season. Others came in from the top. I merely did what we were instructed to do by HC.

7. tnshooter

tnshooter Fawn

Jan 2, 2015
    Does anyone have any information on area 2?

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    it amazes me how much some people bitch/belly ache/complain. here you have an opportunity to hunt, not guaranteed to get a big one or see a lot of deer, but to get out and hunt. no system will ever be perfect; public, private or federally controlled. there's always going to be some type of favoritism, whether real or perceived, big or small. the party leaders aren't guides, they're not there to hold you hand. to those that don't like it, get over yourselves, suggest fixes to hunt control or go somewhere else. my 2 cents.

9. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    What I hear is that HC is going to an online log-in system for next season called I-sportsman, so we will be able to login online and not go to HC at all. Also hear they are planning a post deer telecheck, like in the state. I still believe they will hold the 3 gun quota hunt weekends as they are now, but I also think there are many issues that still must be worked out. also my 2 cents: I have been hunting this post a long time (1st deer killed here in 1980) I have never had issue's like some of you are complaining about, never an issue with a party leader or anyone involved with HC. You know why? I hunt period. I don't hang around the party leaders and never will, I check in and hit the woods. The Deer hanging on My walls at home are proof to what is possible here. I will say that one real issue, has been the Tier 1 hunters that go in HC and sign in 5 people on their sheets, and 4 have no intention of hunting, just to lock up the area they want to hunt. Hoping the new system will fix that, but cheaters will always find their ways.

Michigander and Claims Rep. like this.
  10. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Well said Ken. I've only hunted Knox for three years, but in those three years the party leaders that I've met have all been good folks. I'm thankful just to have the opportunity to hunt.

11. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    great party leaders for me all three years I have hunted on Knox.

12. jsc3150

jsc3150 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2004
    Lexington
    I have hunted Fort Knox since 1992 and have never had any issues with any of the party leaders in any areas that I have been selected to hunt. Most all of them are willing to help if needed and some have practically put me on top of deer in the area.

13. Deernut33

Deernut33 Fawn

Jul 30, 2016
    The talk about party leaders was why I went up a day early and scouted my tail off. I believe my party leader was a pretty good guy but he did have at least three of his friends hunting in the area. Other than taking up my paperwork I depended on them for nothing, I went prepared.

Uscnoklahoma likes this.
  14. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Does anyone know if they was any big bucks killed at Knox this weekend.

15. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    I know of a mid 150s killed in 5

Docwaters likes this.